Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
Phoebe Vonthethoff is a commercial litigation lawyer based in Sydney.
- Bachelor of International Studies (Japanese), University of Wollongong (2014)
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Wollongong (2014)
- Certificate IV in Government Investigations (2015)
- High Court of Australia 2016
- Supreme Court of New South Wales 2015
- Creditor actions – in the liquidation of a company, my role was to assist in advising a creditor on potential actions against company directors for misconduct, reviewing contractual arrangements, drafting the originating process to apply for access to the company's books, and preparing evidence in support of that application.
- Due diligence – as part of a due diligence project for the acquisition of target companies and interests in two mining sites, I was responsible for the litigation portion of the project, which included reviewing of the data-room, conducting litigation searches, submitting requests for information, and drafting the final report.
- Compliance for a foreign entity – for a UK law firm looking to establish Australian offices, I assisted in reviewing and drafting engagement documents in accordance with legal profession laws and advising on compliance issues for foreign practitioners and law firms under Australian law.
- Contract review and indemnities – for a statutory trust in relation for potential breaches due to concerns arising from compliance audit, my role involved preparing an advice on potential breaches of express and implied contractual terms and issues for key stakeholders, and drafting deeds of indemnity for trustees and senior management.
- Restraints – in various restraint matters, I have helped in advising on post-employment obligations of employees, reviewing restraint clauses with regard to protection of legitimate business interests, and assisting in preparing for and conducting injunction proceedings.
- Commonwealth Department of Communications and the Arts – assisting in providing discovery in a large-scale litigation matter in the Supreme Court of NSW, including considering claims for public interest immunity, parliamentary and legal professional privilege, and drafting evidence in support of these claims.
- Orders for papers – Part of a multi-discipline team acting for a government department in response to a parliamentary order for production of documents which involved review for privilege and public interest immunity and use of sophisticated document management systems.
- Unfair dismissals – for a local council in responding to unfair dismissal claims, my role included drafting the employer's response, witness statements, settlement and conciliation documents, and attending conciliations and arbitration hearings at the NSW Industrial Relations Commission.
- Prosecutions – for a government department, I assisted by advising on statutory interpretation issues relating to the mining prosecutions and advising on fisheries prosecution matters.
- GIPA Applications – responding to requests for information under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 to various government bodies.
- Guide to GIPA and Subpoenas – NSWPF Practical tips for responding to applications and subpoenas – NSWPF Headquarters – 12 January 2017