J. Thomas Hatfield
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
J. Thomas HatfieldvCard
Related services and key industries
J. Thomas Hatfield is experienced in complex international commercial disputes involving governments, state-owned entities, and private enterprises. He appears as counsel in disputes in the energy, transportation, life sciences and financial services sectors. He has acted in international arbitrations conducted under a variety of procedural rules, including the arbitration rules of the ICC, LCIA, ICDR, BCICAC, as well as ad hoc. His experience extends to disputes arising out of a variety of contractual relationships, including licencing agreements, production-sharing agreements, supply agreements, and sales and purchase agreements in various parts of the world, especially the Middle East, North Africa, India, Europe and Russia.
Prior to joining us, Mr. Hatfield spent four years as an associate in the international arbitration group of a leading American international law firm in London, England.
Mr. Hatfield is qualified as a solicitor in England & Wales and a barrister and solicitor in both Ontario and British Columbia.
B.A., University of British Columbia, 2006
- British Columbia 2018
- Ontario 2013
- England and Wales 2017
- Represented a Canadian energy company in complex ICC international arbitration against a sovereign state under the terms of an oil and gas licensing agreement
- Represented a Canadian iron ore services company in a Singapore-seated international commercial arbitration under the rules of the SCMA
- Represented a North African state-owned transportation company in multiple complex, multi-party, multi-jurisdictional international arbitrations (LMAA, and ad hoc) involving substantive issues of bribery, frustration and sanctions
- Represented a large Saudi Arabian chemical manufacturer in a high-value and complex LCIA international arbitration relating to the use of licensed technology
- Represented a large Indian oil and gas company in multiple ongoing multi-billion US dollar arbitrations against the government of India relating to an offshore gas field
- Represented a large Indian electronics manufacturer in approx. £30 million ICC international arbitration relating to a product liability dispute
- Represented a large Indian pharmaceutical company in multiple ICC international arbitrations for claims under licensing agreements for the manufacture and sale of drugs in the United States and Russia
- Represented a Libyan sovereign wealth fund, in successfully defending a US$500 million claim in the English High Court
- Represented a large Middle East-based private equity firm, in a US$33 million partnership dispute in the English High Court
- Represented a Libyan state-owned asset management company, in multiple claims in the courts of Liechtenstein relating to unlawful director appointments