Xavier Foccroulle Ménard
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Xavier Foccroulle Ménard's practice covers all aspects of financing, including banking, secured lending, capital debt markets, securities and corporate finance. His practice focuses on commercial financing for both lenders and borrowers as well as corporate financing through capital debt markets. He has extensive knowledge of financings involving digital assets worldwide. He regularly publishes academic scholarship on these topics, especially at the intersection of finance and technology.
During his studies, he clerked at the Superior Court of Québec for the Honourable Gregory Moore. He also worked at a top-tier private equity fund formation and asset management law firm in Paris before articling with us.
- Quebec 2021
Mr. Foccroulle Ménard has recently acted for the following clients:
- Turquoise Hill Resources Ltd., in respect of US$1.1 billion in credit facilities granted by Rio Tinto to Cuprum Metals Pte Ltd.
- Énergir L.P. in connection with its new $800 million credit agreement maturing in 2027
- Énergir L.P. in connection with its $200 million first mortgage bond offering
- A syndicate of lenders in connection with $385 million in credit facilities granted to Plusgrade Inc. in respect of the acquisition of Points.com Inc.
- SNC Lavalin Group Inc. in connection with its $2.6 billion in revolving credit facilities and $500 million term loan
- Bausch Health Companies Inc. in connection with the restructuring and announced separation of Bausch + Lomb from Solta Medical
- HEXO Corp. for its acquisition of 48North Cannabis Corp. through a $50-million share plan of arrangement
- HEXO Corp. for its acquisition of Redecan Pharm through a $900-million share plan of arrangement
- Videotron Ltd. for its private offering of US$500 million senior notes due 2029 and C$750 million senior notes due 2028
- The John W. Cook, K.C. Prize
- The Macdonald Travelling Scholarship
- University of Toronto Graduate Fellowship
- The Gerald S. Tritt Q.C. Prize
- The I.M.E. Prize in Commercial Law
- McGill University Faculty of Law Dean's Honor List
- "Bringing the UCC into the digital age: Review of the 2022 UCC amendments and controllable electronic records" (co-authors: Andrew James Lom, Rachel Browndorf and Carl Farah), Norton Rose Fulbright, legal update, November 2022.
- "Crypto lending: Legal implications for taking security interests in cryptocurrency," Norton Rose Fulbright, legal update, April 2022.
- "Sound Regulations for Security Interests in Cryptocurrency" (co-author: Cécilia Barrette-Leduc), Banking and Finance Law Review, vol. 34, no 1, p. 98, 2021.
- "Cryptocurrency: Collateral for Secured Transactions," Banking and Finance Law Review, vol. 34, no 3, p. 347, 2019.
- "The Future of Lending is Now: Credit Support from Crypto and Digital Assets," legal luncheon, National Bank of Canada, Novermber 17, 2022.
- "Digital Assets: The Intangible of a New Era," Q&A, Kiriakoula Hatzikiriakos blog (koulah.com), July 28, 2022.
- "The Future of Lending is Now: Credit Support from Crypto and Digital Assets," International Finance Corporation, May 16, 2022.
- "Emerging Alternatives in Legal Interpretation," Runnymede Society, Law and Freedom 2022, March 12, 2022.
- "Reclaiming the Natural Law for 21st Century Constitutionalism," International Society of Public Law, 2021 annual convention, July 9, 2021.
- Canadian Lenders Association
- Current chairman, CLA Crypto Round Table
- Centre associate, UBC centre for Constitutional Law and Legal Studies
- Reviewer, Banking and Finance Law Review FinTech Writing Program
Publication | August 8, 2023
Blog | March 29, 2023
Bringing the UCC into the digital age: Review of the 2022 UCC amendments and controllable electronic records
Blog | November 28, 2022