Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Robert has practised employment and labour law in Ottawa since 1993. Prior to joining us, Robert served as in-house counsel and director of labour relations at a university and was formerly a partner, practising employment and labour law at a leading Ottawa law firm.
Robert has more than 25 years' experience in employment and labour matters. His experience includes representing employers, individuals and union clients covering grievance arbitration, union certifications, collective bargaining, terminations, workplace conflict, wrongful and unjust dismissal cases, sexual harassment investigations and other human rights issues. He advises employers in negotiating and drafting employment contracts and on employer legislated compliance concerning employees. He has represented clients before numerous administrative bodies and in the civil courts, acting in trials and appeals.
His experience representing employer and union/employee clients, provides Robert perspective and strategic insight that often promotes pragmatic, efficient and timely resolution of contentious and complex cases.
- Ontario 1993
- "Our Courts Regard for Employee Vulnerability," Ottawa Life Magazine, op-ed, August 2014 issue.
- "Summary Judgment: An Effective Weapon to Combat Low-Balling Employer," July 2014 website article and blog.
- "Restrictive Covenants: Flipping the Burden to the Departing Employee," paper authored and presented Employment Law Summit, Toronto, October 2013; currently being published by Carswell, summer 2014.
- "Current Issues in Employment Law," paper presented for the HRPA, Ottawa, June 2012.
- "Update on Social Media Cases and the Workplace," paper presented at the Six-Minute Employment Lawyer, Toronto, June 2011.
- "Serious Interference Test too Restrictive for Proof of Family Status Discrimination," The Lawyers Weekly, July 6, 2007/
- "Workplace Conflicts: Strategies for Resolution," presenter and speaker, The Best Tools to Face Conflict Symposium, Ottawa, April 26, 2007.
- "Return to Work," panel speaker, Human Rights and Labour Law Conference, Lancaster House, Shaw Centre, Ottawa, October 2018.
- Law Society of Ontario
- County of Carleton Law Association