Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Ryan Meltzer is a senior associate in the Austin office and a member of the firm's Regulations, Investigations, Securities & Compliance group. His practice focuses on commercial and securities litigation, including shareholder- and whistleblower-litigation defense, SEC and FINRA enforcement matters, internal corporate investigations, and complex commercial litigation. Ryan regularly advises clients in a wide range of industries on internal investigations and compliance with federal securities and anti-corruption laws, and defends publicly held corporations, officers, and directors against shareholder lawsuits in state and federal court.
During law school, Ryan was Chief Notes Editor of the Texas Law Review, a Teaching Quizmaster in the law school's first-year legal research and legal writing program, and a participant in the U.S. Supreme Court Clinic. He was inducted into the Chancellors honors society as Grand Chancellor and is also a member of the Order of the Coif. Following graduation, Ryan clerked for the Honorable Edward C. Prado of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
Before joining the firm, Ryan worked as an investigator for the Civilian Complaint Review Board, an independent police oversight agency in the New York City government tasked with investigating complaints against members of the NYPD.
JD, with highest honors, The University of Texas School of Law, 2014
BA, with honors, Political Science, Vassar College, 2007
Ryan is admitted to practice in Texas, The United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit and the Eastern and Western Districts of Texas.
- Texas State Bar
- Represented publicly held oil-and-gas company and outside directors in derivative suit for breach of fiduciary duties arising from conflicted controller transaction; secured dismissal on all counts in the Delaware Court of Chancery.
- Represented national trade associations and merchants in federal lawsuits challenging FDA regulations on constitutional, statutory, and administrative grounds; secured industry-wide relief on multiple counts.
- Defended the CFO of a publicly traded energy company against Wells Notice raising charges of securities fraud and books-and-records violations; persuaded SEC not to file charges.
- Defended broker-dealer and principals against FINRA disciplinary charges based on alleged sale of unregistered securities.
- Prosecuted lawsuit by software company alleging corporate espionage, trade secret misappropiation, and unfair competition; negotiated favorable settlement.
- Defended major HVAC manufacturer in putative nationwide products liability class action in federal court; secured dismissal with prejudice of all counts.
- Represented telecommunications company in shareholder books-and-records litigation in Delaware Court of Chancery; negotiated release of requested records.
- Advised educational institution on conduct of internal investigation and preservation of attorney–client privilege and work product protection.
- Advised investment fund in securities fraud lawsuit brought by disappointed investor in private placement.
- Represented former Salvadoran police officer pro bono in asylum proceedings; won asylum at trial.
- Represented disability rights organization pro bono in challenge to state's implementation of the National Voter Registration Act; negotiated change in state policy to achieve full compliance with federal law.
- Co-author, "New Considerations From COSO For Internal Controls," Law360, Oct. 18, 2016
- Co-author, "SEC Spotlights Undrilled Reserves And Resource Estimates," Law360, Oct. 12, 2016
- Co-author, "5th Circuit rejects securities fraud class action: Public disclosures, pleading standards prove fatal," Norton Rose Fulbright - Legal update, January 2016
- Author, Note, "Qualified Immunity and Constitutional Norm-Generation in the Post-Saucier Era: 'Clearly Establishing' the Law Through Civilian Oversight of Police," 92 Texas L. Rev. 1277 (2014)
- Austin Bar Association/Austin Young Lawyers Association Leadership Academy, 2018
- UT Law Youth Court, 2011-2013
- NYC Civilian Complaint Review Board Public Outreach Unit, 2009-2011
Publication | June 2019
Publication | December 2016
Publication | October 2016
Publication | October 2016