Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Jay Stiffler is a partner in Norton Rose Fulbright's Houston office. Jay focuses his practice in oil and gas transactions and energy infrastructure project development and finance. His oil and gas practice focuses on the acquisition, disposition, exploration and development of oil and gas properties, and he has particular experience with respect to unconventional oil and gas plays.
Jay's energy infrastructure project development and finance practice encompasses all stages of project development, including engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) projects.
In addition, Jay represents clients in connection with liquefied natural gas (LNG) projects, including LNG export projects and LNG sale and purchase agreements.
Jay has represented developers, purchasers and sellers of domestic and international energy projects, including the drafting and negotiation of EPC contracts, joint venture agreements, throughput and offtake agreements, purchase and sale agreements, asset purchase agreements and all other related project documentation.
Jay has represented developers of various types of energy and chemical projects. His practice also includes the representation of energy companies, banks and other investors with respect to general corporate and financing matters and transactions.
JD, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, Case Western Reserve Law Review, Case Western Reserve University School of Law, 2006
BA, with honors, University of Chicago, 2003
- Texas State Bar
Oil & Gas
- Representation of an international energy company in the acquisition of an undivided working interest in an Eagle Ford Shale play and the joint development of the subject oil and gas interests.
- Representation of an international energy company in the acquisition of an undivided working interest in a Niobrara Shale play and the joint development of the subject oil and gas interests.
- Represented an energy company in the acquisition of an undivided working interest in oil and gas properties covering the Bakken Shale in North Dakota.
- Represented an energy company in the sale of oil and gas properties covering the Bakken Shale in North Dakota.
- Represented an energy company in the sale of oil and gas properties covering the Haynesville Shale in Louisiana.
- Representation of potential buyer in its bid for the potential acquisition of a gas gathering system servicing highly productive areas of the Eagle Ford Shale.
- Representation of purchaser of an oilfield services company.
Liquefied Natural Gas
- Representation of a global trading company in connection with capacity and feed gas arrangements for a proposed bi-directional LNG liquefaction and regasification terminal.
- Representation of a global trading company in connection with LNG sale and purchase arrangements relating to a proposed LNG export terminal.
- Representation of an investment firm in the financing of an LNG liquefaction terminal.
- Representation of a developer of a waste-to-energy project in the U.S. Virgin Islands, including negotiation of engineering, procurement and construction contract and equipment supply agreements.
- Representation of equity investor in the negotiation of an EPC contract for the construction of a transmission line in Texas.
- Advised international EPC company on possible construction of chemical facility.
- Representation of purchaser of a biomass-fueled power project in Connecticut.
- Representation of an international oil and gas company in negotiation of acquisition and development documents in the acquisition of an undivided interest in, and development of, a cogeneration facility.
- Representation of potential seller in the contemplated sale of a coal-fired power plant in New Jersey.
- Representation of international energy company in long-term supply and services contract relating to various natural gas fueled power plants and combustion turbines.
- Legal 500 USA, recommended lawyer, Industry focus - Energy transactions: oil and gas, The Legal 500, 2016 - 2019
- Legal Characteristics of U.S. Oil and Gas Interests and the U.S. Oil and Gas Lease," Sekiyu Kaihatsu Jihou,, August 2013
- Texas State Bar
- Houston Bar Association
- American Bar Association