Barry M. Greenbaum
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Barry is a Senior Counsel who focuses his practice on patent prosecution and IP transactions. He has extensive experience drafting and prosecuting utility and design patent applications (domestic and foreign), as well as in post-grant proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board including inter partes review (IPR).
Barry also has extensive experience providing patent counseling to both international companies and start-ups, conducting due diligence reviews and patent portfolio analysis, and preparing validity, infringement, and freedom-to-operate opinions. He has helped manage several worldwide patent prosecution dockets including coordinating prosecution across multiple foreign jurisdictions.
Barry's areas of expertise include design patents, mechanical devices, consumer goods, structural components (e.g., steel products and related manufacturing processes), medical devices (e.g., medical imaging, dialysis machines, deep brain stimulation), Fintech, power tools, autonomous vehicles, and automotive components.
During law school, Barry served as a judicial intern for the Honorable Edward R. Korman, Chief Judge of the United States District Court, Eastern District of New York.
Before attending law school, Barry performed research on the effects of meniscal transplantation on knee stability.
He is licensed to practice in the states of New York and New Jersey and before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
JD, Fordham University School of Law, 2008
ME, Civil Engineering, Minor, Biomedical Engineering, Cooper Union, 2006
BE, Civil Engineering, Cooper Union, 2005
- New Jersey State Bar
- New York State Bar
- US Patent & Trademark Attorney
- Editor, CAFC Blog, July 2013-April 2016
- "Natural Alternatives International v. Iancu - Beware of Priority Claims!" IP Roundtable, November 2018
- "The Nuts and Bolts of Design Patents: How to prosecute them and how to determine if they are infringed" IP Roundtable, July 2017
- "Meng v. Chu: Post-Issuance Inventorship Disputes" IP Roundtable, May 2016
- "Effects of the Hague Agreement on U.S. Design Patent Law" Continuing Legal Education, June 2015
- "Accelerating Patent Prosecution" Continuing Legal Education, April 2015
- "Patent Prosecution Fundamentals" Continuing Legal Education, November 2014