Jeffrey R. Escobar
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Jeffrey R. EscobarvCard
Related services and key industries
Jeffrey R. Escobar advises horizontal and vertical project owners, real estate companies, joint ventures, institutional owners, closely held developers, lenders, investors and private equity funds across the US and throughout the Americas on their deployment of capital on their most complex and large-scale projects. From the construction of a professional sports stadium and the only aerial commuter tramway system in the country in New York City, to the development and construction of large luxury apartment communities in Los Angeles County and the engineering of energy facilities in the Gulf of Mexico, there is no energy, infrastructure, real estate, construction or development project too large or too small that Jeffrey has not had experience leading.
JD, with Honors, New England School of Law, 2004
BA, Phi Beta Kappa, University of Washington, 2000
- New York State Bar
Renewable Energy, Infrastructure& Project Financed Real Estate & Development Transactions
- Spearheaded the real estate finance component of a $2.3 billion syndicated lending to a privately held electricity provider in its decommissioning of two diesel-powered plants and construction of two replacement LNG turbine powered plants along with three corresponding battery storage facilities in Southern California and Nevada, leading to naming as a Recommend Lawyer in the 2017 Legal 500 US for Finance-Project Finance
- Advised and led Australian private equity fund in its $1 billion acquisition of eight natural gas, diesel and clean coal-fired facilities generating 3,555 MW across fourteen cooperatives and municipalities in Louisiana, Arkansas and Texas.
- Led lending syndicate of nearly 200 lenders with respect to real estate finance concerns in their lending of $1.3 billion for the development, construction and operation of a Liquefied National Gas facility in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Spearheaded the real estate, development and finance component of a sponsor-led $800 million acquisition, redevelopment and operation of a 1,485 MW combined cycle natural gas-fired turbine facility and power plant in Lackawanna, Pennsylvania.
- Guided Australian-based private equity fund with respect to real estate finance and development concerns involving its $600 million funding of six offshore wind projects in the outer-continental shelf off of the U.S. East Coast.
- Provided real estate acquisition and development advice to global asset and capital management concern in its concessionaire bid for a public-private partnership funded redevelopment of a national airport in New York State.
- Advised German-based lender in its $365 million lending and tax-equity sponsorship of the acquisition, construction and operation of two 25 MW solar facilities in Clarke County and Cherrydale County, Virginia.
- Counseled publicly trade geothermal conglomerate with respect to real estate, development and real estate backed financing concerns in its $2 billion acquisition of a portfolio of three geothermal power generating assets in Colorado and Nevada.
- Guided U.S. based institutional bank in its $396 million financing of a sponsor-led acquisition and development of a portfolio of eight solar facilities in California, Colorado and New Mexico.
- Counseled solar developer with respect to the real estate finance, acquisition, ground lease, construction and development of a co-generation wind farm and solar facility in Kimball, Nebraska.
- Led U.S. based lender in its $395 million re-financing of a 105 MW wind farm and battery storage facility in Southeast Washington State.
- Advised U.S. based infrastructure private equity fund with respect to its real estate finance and development concerns in its $1 billion bid to acquire portfolio of six diesel powered generating facilities in Louisiana and Texas for conversion to LNG-based energy output.
- Provided real estate and development guidance to hydroelectric developer and operator in relation to its refinancing and aggregation of a portfolio of five hydroelectric dams spanning ten states in the Northeast United States.
- Counseled Scandinavia-based offshore wind developer in its real estate financing, development and bid for the construction and operation of off-shore wind farms off of the coasts of New Jersey and Virginia valued at $1 billion.
- Led syndicate of U.S. institutional lenders with respect to the real estate component of a $500 million construction and term loan lending for the construction, development and operation of a 40 MW solar and battery storage facility in Santa Barbara, California.
- Guided publicly-traded geothermal developer and generator as to real estate development concerns arising from its $650 million private placement offering to fund the construction of five geothermal power plants in Southern Nevada.
- Led the real estate finance component of a $18 billion lending to the operator of the largest liquefied natural gas plant and facility in the United States with respect to the development and construction of a LNG pipeline and facility in Louisiana.
- Advised and leading Chinese solar developer in its acquisition, development and construction of a 10,000 acre, 1.2 gigawatt solar power facility in Eastern Nevada.
- Led a solar developer in the negotiation of a solar option agreement and ground lease for the development of a 2,000 acre solar farm in Central Florida.
- Acted as regular real estate counsel to a Southeast U.S. Commercial Investment Bank in its project finance-backed construction and sale-leaseback financing of a $350 million portfolio of solar power facilities developed throughout the Southeast and Midwest United States.
- Developed suite of solar ground lease option agreements, land purchase agreements and solar development right agreements on behalf of utility grade solar developer and operator in their acquisition, development and positioning of a portfolio of solar facilities across Central America and the Caribbean.
- Guided consortium of New Mexico landowners with respect to their development and sale-leaseback of 40,000 acres of land to a joint venture of wind and solar developers
Commercial Real Estate Development & Construction Transactions
- Provided key landmark advice to developer client on the legal ability and viability to use modular means and methods to construct the country’s tallest modular tower at the Atlantic Yards project in Brooklyn, New York.
- Structured and negotiated the development of the Baccarat Hotel & Residences in Manhattan, New York, including the provision of development and construction practices advice.
- Led, structured, negotiated and advised client on construction license agreements for the construction of the Tower Verre, otherwise known as the MoMA Tower in New York City.
- Served as construction counsel to the owner of a professional Major League Soccer team in the development and construction of stadium, training facility, administrative and executive offices, including the mediation and negotiated settlement of various construction management, subcontract claims and lien foreclosure, averting possible project shutdown and failure of development.
- Acted as construction legal adviser to country’s largest real estate investment trust (REIT), reviewing all development and construction contracts and agreements for all new client developments nationwide, including providing legal advice and counsel as to transaction and potential client exposure to potential liability and industry best practices.
- Provided legal counsel and risk management guidance to large New York developer of a luxury residence at a Long Island City project, including advisory as to use of union labor versus non-union labor and crane operation requirements.
- Spearheaded and provided legal counsel to the development and construction of a contentious multi-hundred-million-dollar assisted living senior community and rehabilitation center in Boca Raton, Florida. Advised the world’s largest luxury-residential developer in its joint venture and partnership with an international hotel group in the construction and development of a luxury lodge, spa and residential complex in Breckenridge, Colorado.
- Successfully acted as US legal counsel to foreign design-build client in the construction of Roosevelt Island commuter aerial tramway system from project procurement and bid to the negotiation and administration of the project’s contracts.
- Acted as lead counsel to the construction of the Battery Park Ferry Terminal, including loss recovery efforts from Port Authority and builder under OCIP policies for failures to properly complete topside work.
- Led global real estate developer in its construction financing, development and construction of a high-rise luxury tower, hotel and retail spaces consisting of 150 residential units in downtown Dallas, Texas.
- Spearheaded the development and construction by one of the country’s largest private developers of a luxury retail shopping, entertainment and hotel complex in downtown Phoenix, Arizona.
- Advised publicly traded healthcare company in its joint venture development with a public university in its acquisition and development of a medical care campus and hospital in Houston metropolitan area.
- Acted as development counsel to a publicly traded health care REIT in its procurement and redevelopment of a portfolio of medical care offices and facilities assets throughout Connecticut, including the ground-up acquisition and construction of two medical campuses.
- Provided real estate construction counsel to a prominent New York developer in its construction and development of luxury residential towers in Austin, Texas and downtown Milwaukee, Minnesota.
- Represented an internationally prominent, privately held bank in the underwriting of a public-private partnership development of a 500,000 square foot entertainment complex and venue in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- Advised publicly traded, S&P 500 healthcare company in its acquisition, development, construction and operation of medical care facilities, buildings, campuses and hospitals across the country, including its joint venture development with a large Japanese financial conglomerate and private equity firm of a portfolio of luxury senior and assisted living communities.
- Guided a foreign joint venture in its acquisition, development and construction of a 100-acre automobile manufacturing facility, commercial complex and distribution center in New Braunfels, Texas.
- Served as development legal advisor to one of the country’s largest Real Estate Investment Trusts in its rebranding, management and redevelopment of its hospitality CapEx and PIP assets nationwide.
- Negotiated, prepared and oversaw administration of construction and development contracts for multinational corporate client in the construction of their new global headquarters and offices at marquee location in Times Square.
- Served as construction legal counsel to international luxury retailer in its design, engineering, construction and development of its retail, operations and commercial office locations throughout North America.
- Led a publicly-traded, S&P client healthcare company in its (i) acquisition, development, construction and operation of a medical care facility, campus and hospital at Medical City Dallas, Texas; (ii) procurement, redevelopment and construction of a portfolio of ten medical care facilities and hospitals throughout the United States; (iii) joint venture acquisition, development and operation of a 111 unit senior living facility in Otay Ranch, California; (iv) development, construction and operation of a medical care facility, campus and hospital in Woodlands, Texas; and (v) joint venture development and construction of senior living communities throughout North America.
- Acting as outside real estate construction and development general counsel to a number of luxury retailers, in their development, demolition, renovation and construction of all of their luxury retail locations throughout North America, including over ten (10) facilities for one key client this past year alone.
- Advised the North American arm of a German pharmaceutical conglomerate (i) in its completion and management of the construction of its Chicago Metropolitan Dialysis Center and Medical Care Facility, (ii) its joint venture development of its Massachusetts facilities, and (iii) as to its general real estate and construction needs throughout North America.
- Acted as real estate construction and development counsel to a joint venture in its development and construction of luxury assisted living and memory care senior community and rehabilitation centers in Santa Rosa, California and Seattle, Washington.
- Provided expertise to Chilean-based mineral mining development company in its merger and acquisition of a U.S. based project company with respect to real estate and development concerns, mining claims and licenses issues, and the planned construction of a refining facility.
- Advised, drafted and negotiated a series of EPC construction contracts for Scandinavia based developer in its development of offshore wind facilities throughout the United States valued at nearly $600 million in total.
- Guided a Texas-based manufacturer and distributor in its construction and development of an automobile manufacturing, warehouse and distribution facility in the Dallas metropolitan area.
- New York Metro Rising Star, Real Estate and Construction, Thomson Reuters, 2014–2017
- Recommended Lawyer, Finance - Project Finance, The Legal 500, 2017
- “Does preparatory site work, such as clearing or grading, constitute commencement of construction for purposes of lien priority?: The dangers of failing to file a notice of lending and when a contractor’s mechanic’s lien takes priority over a construction loan mortgage,” Lexology USA, January 27, 2015
- “How ‘Exacting’ Must an Indemnification Clause of a Contract Be to Entitle a Prevailing Party to Attorney’s Fees?” NYSBA: Inside, Vol. 20, No. 2, Fall 2011
- “Will Corporate Officers ever be Held Criminally Responsible for Environmental Crimes?: Collapsing the Doctrines of Piercing the Corporate Veil and the Responsible Corporate Officer for Successful Environmental Criminal Prosecutions,” New England Journal on Criminal and Civil Confinement, Vol. 30, no. 1, Winter 2004
- "Construction Loan Funding and Title Insurance: Best Practice in Disbursement and Documentation", Strafford Publications webinar, January 2019
- "Construction Contracts 101: Demystifying Design & Construction Contracts for the Successful Project," New York City Bar panel, July 2018
- "Triaging the Construction Contract," Norton Rose Fulbright US webinar, May 2018
- "Construction Contracts 201: Contracting the Complex Construction Project," New York City Bar panel, March 2018
- "Construction Contracts 101: Contracting for a Successful Project, A Revisit," New York City Bar panel, July 2017
- "A Road Map to Contracting for the Successful Complex Construction Project: the Key Construction Clauses You Need to Know Now," New York City Bar panel, March 2017
- "Demystifying Construction Contracts Workshop," myLaw webinar, April 2017
- "ZLDA's, TDR's and Construction Access Agreements in New York," New York City Bar panel, April 201
- "Construction Contract Workshop: Understanding Construction Contract Essentials II," American Society of Civil Engineers panel, March 2017
- "Claims, Notices and Dispute Resolution: Demystifying Construction Claims," Lawline webinar, March 2017
- "Mechanics of Mechanic's Liens," Lawline webinar, March 2017
- "Construction License Agreements in New York," Lawline webinar, November 2016
- "Claims, Notices and Dispute Resolution: Demystifying Construction Claims," Lawline webinar, June 2016
- "Construction Contracts 101: Contracting for a Successful Project," New York City Bar panel, July 2016
- “Claims, Notices and Dispute Resolution: Demystifying Construction Claims,” Lawline webinar, June 2016
- “A Roadmap to Key Contracting Clauses for the Complex Construction Project in Owner/Contractor Construction Agreements: Negotiating Key Clauses that are Non-Starters,” Lawline webinar, April 2016
- “Construction Contract Workshop: Understanding Construction Contract Essentials,” American Society of Civil Engineers panel, December 2015
- “Construction Contracts 101: Contracting for a Successful Project,” New York City Bar panel, July 2015
- “Lien Law Claims, the Amended Prompt Pay Act and Notice Provisions in Construction Agreements,” New York City Bar panel, April 2015
- “Changes to US GAAP Accounting Standards and Impact for Real Estate, Leasing and Construction Professionals and their Legal Counsel,” Capstone Advisory Group real estate webinar, April 2015
- “Construction Contracts 201: Contracting for the Complex Construction Project,” New York City Bar panel, March 2015
- “Construction Contracts 101: Contracting for a Successful Project,” New York City Bar panel, July 2014
- “Construction Contracts 101: Agreements Explained & Demystified,” New York City Bar panel, July 2013
- American Bar Association, Forum on Construction Industry
- Asian American Bar Association of New York
- Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund Foundation
- Appointed member, Construction Law Committee, New York City Bar Association
- Chair of Green Building Subcommittee, New York City Bar Association
- Chair of Resiliency Construction Subcommittee, New York City Bar Association
- Co-chair of CLE Subcommittee, New York City Bar Association
- New York City Council Appointed Member, New York City Community Board 8 Manhattan
- Co-chair, Roosevelt Island Committee, New York City Community Board 8 Manhattan
- Co-chair of Cornell Technion/Roosevelt Island Task Force, New York City Community Board 8 Manhattan
- New York State Bar Association
- Member and Mentor, PALS, Inc.
- Roosevelt Island Residents Association, elected community representative, 2008–2010 and 2010–2012 terms; vice-president, president, 2012–2014 term; president, 2014–2016 term
- Board Member, Star Island Operating Corporation
- Appellate judicial law clerk to Honorable Justice Anthony V. Cardona, New York State Supreme Court, Appellate Division, Third Department, August 2004–September 2005
- New York State Governor Appointed Director and Board Member, Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation