Michael A. Samalin
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Michael A. SamalinvCard
Related services and key industries
Michael Samalin is a Senior Counsel at Norton Rose Fulbright, resident in the firm's New York Office. Mr. Samalin has a background in the hard sciences, and years of experience as a business executive before he became an attorney. He focuses his practice on complex commercial litigation matters. He has substantial experience defending consumer class actions, shareholder derivative cases, product liability cases, patent and intellectual property disputes, contract disputes among financial and insurance institutions, and bankruptcy matters.
JD, magna cum laude, Fordham Law Review, Order of the Coif, Fordham University School of Law, 2005
BS, Cornell University, 1989
- New York State Bar
- Represented major cosmetics company in defeating class certification in case alleging false advertising.
- Represented major beverage company in defeating multiple classes in cases alleging false advertising.
- Represented insurance company in obtaining judgment at trial against third party administrion firm.
- Represented Director and officer of real estate development company in defense of pututive shareholder derivative claims.
- Represented private equity firm in a fraud and breach of contract action against a former business partner in New York State Supreme Court.
- Represented a major international bank in US Bankruptcy Court in a fraud and breach of contract action.
- Represented a major chemical company in antitrust, fraud and contract actions in US federal court.
- Represented investment bank in a state court contract and fraud action arising from role in a purchase transaction.
- Represented major US investment banks in connection with SEC and NYSE investigations of trading activities.
- Represented a big four auditing firm in litigation over allegations of malpractice and fraudulent conspiracy.
- Represented a big four auditing firm in connection with litigation over role in an equity transaction.
- Represented energy producer in US Bankruptcy Court in litigation over asset sale under Section 363 of the US Bankruptcy Code.
- Represented manufacturing company in US Bankruptcy Court in litigation with unsecured creditors over Chapter 11 reorganization.
- Represented financial services company in litigation over trade secrets.
- "Free Speech and Credit Ratings: The First Amendment Defence," International Litigation News, April 2013
- "Sophisticated Investor’s Duty to Investigate Bars Fraud Claim Over Credit Default Swap Losses," The Banking Law Journal, September 2012
- "New York Federal Courts Split on Mortgage-Backed Securities Class Action Certifications," Financial Services Litigation NewsWire, September 2011
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association