Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Corina is a senior counsel at Norton Rose Fulbright's San Antonio office. She is an experienced collaborator and value-added team player with a proven track record of effectively working with stakeholders to assist her clients evaluate, acquire, sell, lease, plan, entitle, permit, finance, develop, manage and operate real property assets. She combines her experience in real estate and government to enable her clients to fully understand and navigate unique and complex business, community, and political interests impacting their development projects to produce positive results and benefits.
Corina uses pragmatic and strategic problem solving to provide viable legal, business, and political solutions for developers, builders, investors and lenders, and public and private entities. She has structured, negotiated and completed a wide variety of real estate transactions ranging from several hundred thousand to one billion dollars in asset value and financing located throughout the United States from remote rural locations to urban city cores.
As former Deputy Chief Counsel to the Secretary of the Air Force, Corina's skill and proficiency in guiding public policy, government relations strategies, and counseling private and public-sector clients in effective public-private partnerships and economic development strategies culminated in notable and innovative developments for renewable energy, medical, education, national security, and technology industries. Corina was a "go-to" trusted advisor to leaders throughout the Department of the Air Force on the management of a nine million acre real estate portfolio.
During her time in Florida, she represented some of the most active and prolific developers in the state. As project counsel, Corina has extensive experience in successfully negotiating and closing complex real estate transactions, and has managed all aspects of land use, development, and finance for a variety of projects including, transportation infrastructure, large scale master planned communities, multi-family housing, Developments of Regional Impact (DRI), Transit Oriented Developments (TOD), airports, hospitals and medical centers, golf courses, mixed-use developments, headquarters campuses, hotels and resorts, retail centers, office buildings, industrial parks, medical-education-technology clusters, and schools.
JD, South Texas College of Law, 2003
BA, University of Texas – Pan American, 1998
- Texas State Bar
- Represented the Air Force in negotiating, executing and managing over $500M in commercial, retail, hospitality, and industrial leases in the states of California, Arizona, Puerto Rico, New Jersey, Nevada, Florida, Utah, Massachusetts and Texas.
- Lead counsel for development project with the City of St. Louis and the National Office of Defense Intelligence involving a $1B in federal military construction appropriations, $93M public bond financing, and $35M brownfield tax credits to construct a western headquarters campus for the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency.
- Project Counsel for development and finance of the largest solar photovoltaic array on a military installation at Eglin Air Force Base, Florida capable of generating up to 120 megawatts of electricity.
- Lead attorney advising, negotiating, drafting and structuring transaction for development and construction of 550MW ground mounted solar photovoltaic array at Edwards Air Force Base, California.
- Negotiated and prepared intra-agency agreements, policies, and processes for the establishment of headquarters Air Force Office of Energy Assurance and the establishment and operation of the Air Force Community Partnership Program.
- Drafted policy for siting and operating non-DoD schools on military installations across the U.S. Represented the Air Force in working with charter schools and public-school districts to negotiate, draft and execute transactions for the finance, development, construction, and operation of schools at Nellis Air Force Base, NV and Laughlin Air Force Base, TX.
- Represented a Universal Studios affiliate in the planning, entitlement, and development of ±2,000 acres in the I-drive corridor near the Orlando Convention Center.
- Served as legal counsel to Bahamas headquartered international private investment organization representing the company's portfolio of luxury resort and private club developments, including the planning, financing, and development of over 7,000 acres in the US, the Bahamas, and Jamaica.
- Served as legal counsel to the master developer of the 7,000 acre Lake Nona Development of Regional Impact entitled for 9,000 residential units, including financing, planning and development of all transportation and infrastructure improvements, with over $100M in community improvement district bond financing, and the 650 acre $2 billion medical campus known as "Medical City" which includes a medical school, research laboratories and hospitals including the University of Florida Research and Academic Center, Veteran's Affairs Medical Center, Nemours Children's Hospital, Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute, the University of Central Florida College of Medicine and the Burnett Biomedical Sciences Building, and the MD Anderson Orlando Cancer Research Institute.
- Represented religious institution landowner before regional planning councils, and other state and local agencies in the planning, entitlement, financing and management of ±300,000 contiguous acres of land in three counties including two Developments of Regional Impact, each comprised of more than 1,500 acres.
- Provided representation for publicly traded North Carolina headquartered REIT's large and diverse Orlando, Florida commercial real estate portfolio composed of 16 office buildings totalling 2.3 million square feet. Including representation in the planning and entitlement process for a proposed mixed-use downtown ±700,000 square foot building.
- Served as land use and development counsel to privately held Wellington, Florida headquartered leading owner, developer and manager of luxury multifamily apartment communities in the Eastern United States managing 25,000 apartment homes in over 70 communities in the development of multi-family residential projects.
- Advised and represented investment, development and management company based in Orlando, Florida with regional offices in Fort Lauderdale, Florida; Dallas, Texas; and Arlington, Virginia in the planning and development of multi-family and mixed-use portfolio of real estate assets in the continental U.S.
- Provided counsel and representation in the planning, entitlement, financing and development of medical office and hospital facilities to a comprehensive private, not-for-profit healthcare network headquartered in Orlando, Florida and comprised of eight hospitals, one medical foundation, a cancer research institute and two medical education institutes.
- Represent the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority in operating one of the nation's largest airport and in the planning, management, leasing, financing, and development of aviation and commercial real estate assets, including preparing and negotiating airline agreements, aviation fuel agreements, retail and industrial leases, concession agreements, construction, development, and infrastructure agreements.
- Represented Central Florida Expressway Authority in the planning, financing, and acquisition and development of major regional infrastructure and transportation corridors, including the expansion of state road 429 (western beltway) and the development of the $1.7 billion Wekiva Parkway through environmentally sensitive lands of the Wekiva River and Wekiva Springs State Park.
- Department of the Air Force Medal and Award for Meritorious Civilian Service for outstanding service to the AF in the performance of duties in an exemplary manner, October 2017
- Air Force Civil Engineer Center Director Coin in recognition of excellence in accomplishments, October 2017
- Air Force Civil Engineer Center, Environmental Division Director Coin in recognition of excellence in accomplishments, October 2017
- Director of National Intelligence Certificate of Appreciation for significant contribution and service, August 2017
- General Counsel of the Air Force Coin in recognition of excellence in accomplishments, August 2012
- Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force Coin in recognition of excellence in accomplishments, June 2011
- Florida Super Lawyers, Law and Politics Magazine "Rising Star" Award Winner, 2009
- Orlando Business Journal, "40 Under 40" Award Winner, 2008
- "ABCs of OZs: How to Establish Funds, Invest, and Build Deal Structures", San Antonio Opportunity Zones Conference Part 2: Structuring Investments, San Antonio, TX, January 29, 2019
- "Driving Local Economic Development Through Federal Public Facility Projects", Federal P3 Conference, Washington, DC, November 27-28, 2018
- DoD Lawyers Roundtable: "Legal Challenges with On-Site Renewable Projects at DoD Installations", Energy Exchange – Department of Energy, Providence, RI, August 10, 2016
- Air Force Energy Leaders Panel: "Energy Resiliency", Association of Defense Communities, San Antonio, TX February 27-March 1, 2016
- "Partnering for Renewable Energy – What Works, What Doesn't and Why", Association of Defense Communities Installation Innovation Forum, January 15, 2013 San Antonio, TX
- "Air Force Partnerships for Solar PV in Puerto Rico", EUCI Puerto Rico Energy Summit, San Juan, PR, June 26, 2012
- Air Force Renewable Energy Development, Association of Defense Communities Energy Partnerships Forum and Army Air Force Industry Day, Washington, DC, June 12-13, 2012
- Board of Directors, Hemisfair Park Area Redevelopment Corporation (HPARC)
- Urban Land Institute – San Antonio, Urban Plan Program Committee Co-chair, 2018-2019
- Alamo Heights United Methodist Church Children & Youth Ministry, Teacher 2010-present
- CPS Energy Citizens Advisory Committee, Member 2012-present (Vice Chairwoman, January 2016 – December 2016)
- City of Orlando Municipal Planning Board, Member 2008-2010
- Osceola County Growth Management Task Force, Member 2008-2010
- Hispanic Bar Association of Central Florida, Board Member 2008-2010
- Board of Directors, Mennello Museum of American Art, 2006-2008
- Central Florida Association of Women Lawyers, Board Member 2006-2007