Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
David advises clients on a wide range of US tax matters, with an emphasis on project finance and energy transactions. In addition, he advises clients on the tax aspects of the formation and structuring of private equity funds with particular expertise regarding renewable energy investment funds. David has extensive experience structuring tax-efficient transactions, such as flip partnerships, sale-leasebacks, pass-through leases and other structures, for the acquisition and financing of renewable energy assets that qualify for tax credits and other incentives.
Earlier in his career, David was the managing director and senior tax counsel at GE Energy Financial Services (GE EFS), one of the world's leading investors in energy projects. At GE EFS, David oversaw all of the tax aspects for more than US$21 billion in global energy projects from structuring transactions to accounting for taxes to formulating tax policy initiatives. During his tenure at GE EFS, the division's investments in wind, solar, hydro, biomass and geothermal power grew to US$6 billion, making GE EFS the largest tax-advantaged energy investor in the US. Before joining GE EFS, David was a tax lawyer at GE Capital and primarily focused on aircraft and equipment leasing and financing and asset acquisitions.
- JD, cum laude, Georgetown University Law Center, staff member, The Tax Lawyer, 1996
- BA, magna cum laude, Ithaca College, 1993
- New York State Bar
- Represented C2 Energy Capital, LLC with respect to tax and project finance matters with respect to the formation of its first private equity fund, C2 Taiyo Fund I, LP.
- Represented Fengate Real Asset Investments on development finance and co-development arrangements for a utility-scale wind project in Maine.
- Represented Tortoise Capital Advisors, L.L.C. on the acquisition by its closed-end fund, Tortoise Energy Infrastructure Fund, of a 33-megawatt portfolio of commercial and industrial solar projects portfolio from Kenyon Energy and its affiliate Sun Financial. The solar projects will provide electricity to various university and municipality customers in the State of New York.
- Represented Sustainable Power Group (sPower) as tax counsel in the 61 MW Latigo Wind Farm Project.
- Represented Sunpower as tax counsel in the 135 MW Quinto Solar Project in Merced County, California. Also represented Sunpower as tax counsel in the 579 MW Solar Star Project in Rosamond, California.
- Represented Campbell County Wind Farm Holdings in the sale of a 95 MW wind farm in South Dakota to Consolidated Edison Development.
- Represented residential solar developer in creation of US$58 million tax equity fund for a portfolio of residential solar projects.
- Represented a publicly traded company in the acquisition of an entity holding a US$107 million portfolio of land and payments from land leases underlying wind and solar projects, including more than 7,500 acres of land leased to three solar projects with a value of approximately US$60 million and the payments from 11 additional land leases for a portfolio of wind projects with a value of approximately US$27 million.
- Advised Tri Global in connection with a turbine supply agreement with Alstom Power under which equipment manufacturer will provide turbines for Tri Global's 80 MW Fiber Winds Energy project in Texas.
- Represented OneRoof Energy Group, Inc. in an IPO/reverse merger transaction pursuant to which OneRoof Energy, Inc., a national residential solar company, became a wholly owned subsidiary of a company listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
- Representation of State Street Bank & Trust in connection with the US$260 million in tax equity financing for the Buffalo Dunes, a 250 MW wind project in Kansas backed by subsidiaries of Enel Green Power and GE Capital.
- Representing SunPower Corporation in the development and sale of the 580 MW Antelope Valley photovoltaic solar project (AVSP) to affiliates of MidAmerican Energy Holdings Company. The project will utilize SunPower's proprietary photovoltaic modules and tracking technology, and its electricity will be sold to Southern California Edison Company under long-term power purchase agreements. SunPower will build and operate the project for MidAmerican. Construction of the project has commenced, and commercial operation is expected in 2015. When completed, AVSP will be the largest solar energy project in the world.
- Represented Rabobank International as a lessee in a pass-through lease for photovoltaic solar energy equipment installed on stores in the Western United States.
- Acted as special tax counsel to NRG Energy and its California Valley Solar Ranch (CVSR) project in connection with inclusion of CVSR in NRG's public offering of securities in Yieldco.
- Advised a foreign and domestic wind turbine manufacturer regarding Treasury Grant matters.
- Advised Hunt Investment Management LLC on the formation of a fund to invest in US renewable energy projects.
- Acted as project counsel for Treasury Grant and tax matters in the financing of California Valley Solar Ranch, a US$1.5 billion solar PV project supported by a Department of Energy loan guaranty.
- Represented SunPower in connection with a sale and leaseback of photovoltaic solar energy equipment to be installed in California.
- Chambers USA, Nationwide: Projects: Renewables & Alternative Energy, Chambers & Partners, 2015 – 2019
- Chambers Global, Projects: Renewables & Alternative Energy - USA, Chambers & Partners, 2018 – 2019
- Distinguished Legal Writing Award (Law Firm), 2016 Burton Awards.
- Legal Power List, A Word About Wind, 2016, 2018
- Editor, www.TaxEquityNews.com, an NRF website covering market trends and considerations for renewable energy and tax policy in the United States.
- Quoted, "Silicon Ranch Plots Solar Sale-Leaseback Switch," Power Finance & Risk, August 8, 2019
- Author, "Recent IRS Notices Blow Favorable For Wind Projects," Law360, July 19, 2019
- Author, "Two Favorable IRS Notices: "Start of Construction" Relief for Department of Defense Delays and PTCs Increased from $24/MWh to $25/MWh," Norton Rose Fulbright - Tax Equity News, July 15, 2019
- Co-author with Keith Martin, "Recent Tax Equity Rulings And The Renewable Energy Sector," Law360, June 26, 2019
- Author, "Claims Court finds related-party developer fee lacks economic substance," Norton Rose Fulbright - Tax Equity News, June 21, 2019
- Quoted, "Congressman Proposes Extending Tax Credits for Wind Projects," Inframation News, " June 20, 2019
- Author, "New Financial Products for Project Financiers," Norton Rose Fulbright - Tax Equity News, June 10, 2019
- Author, "Soundbites from Novogradac's Renewable Energy Conference," Norton Rose Fulbright - Tax Equity News, June 4, 2019
- Co-author with Anne Levin-Nussbaum, "How the New Tax Law Blue Book Impacts Regulated Utilities," Law 360, January 30, 2019
- Co-author with Anne Levin-Nussbaum, "2018 and Onward: The Impact of Tax Reform on the Renewable Energy Market," Pratt's Energy Law Report, March 2018
- Author, "Investing in US Solar: US Tax Aspects for Japanese Investors," Tax Equity News, August 8, 2010
- "Tax Reform and Renewable Energy: Planning Techniques, Loopholes, 100% Expensing, BEAT, Credits and Deductions," Stafford Webinar, January 16, 2019
- "Window of Opportunity: The IRS Issues Initial Guidance on Qualified Opportunity Zone Rules," Panel, November 2, 2018
- "Renewable Tax Equity Structuring," Webinar, October 23, 2018
- "Tax Equity Structuring and Impact of Potential Tax Reform," Webinar, June 28, 2017
- "Tax Equity Structuring and Impact of Potential Tax Reform," Seminar, New York, May 2, 2017
- "Structuring, Modeling and HLBV Accounting for Tax Equity," Seminar, Chicago, June 29, 2016