Related services and key industries
Jeff Richardson is a partner in the firm's Litigation and Dispute Resolution Group. His strategic approach consistently results in efficient and effective resolution of disputes. Jeff's practice includes commercial litigation, intellectual property, and defense of significant personal injury, death and property claims. Jeff has successfully tried cases to judgment in federal and state courts, including jury trials, bench trials and appeals.
JD, Baylor University, 1989
AB, Harvard University, 1986
Jeff was admitted to practice law in Texas in 1989. He has been admitted to practice in all Texas Courts (state and federal), and in the Eastern District of Wisconsin, the District of Colorado, the Fifth Circuit, the Ninth Circuit, and the Federal Circuit. He has also handled matters before the Federal Judicial Panel on Multi-District Litigation and in numerous other courts with pro hac vice admissions (including courts in California, New York, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Oklahoma, Arizona, Pennsylvania and Connecticut).
- Texas State Bar
- Represented U.S. manufacturer, innovator and international patent owner in the hearing aid industry with international licensing activities and prosecution of patent infringement claims, leading all of the "Big 6" international hearing aid manufacturers to license the client's patents. Hear-Wear Technologies, LLC v. Oticon, Inc. et al, No. 4:2007cv00212, Document 355 (N.D. Okla. 2016)
- Represented crane operator in appeal from personal injury trial to correct error in the judgment. Joyce Steel Erection, Ltd. v Bonner, No. 06-14-00064-CV (Tex. App. - Texarkana, 2015), no pet.
- Defended commercial construction company from personal injury and death claims arising from the collapse of the Texas A&M University Bonfire, and appeal over submission of the university on the jury charge. Zachry Construction Corp. v Texas A&M University, 298 S.W.3d 617 (Tex. 2009). (All claims favorably settled in 2014).
- Defended hearing aid manufacturer in a patent infringement suit concerning integrated circuit designs, resulting in summary judgment of non-infringement. (2014)
- Prosecuted trademark and design patent infringement claims to protect distinctive food packaging designs and trademarks. (2012-2014).
- Defended chemical manufacturer and transport company from property damage claims resulting from a hydrochloric acid spill. (2013)
- Defended international tool company in suit over tax abatement agreement. The Stanley Works v. Wichita Falls Indep. School Dist., 366 S.W.3d 816 (Tex. App.--El Paso, 2012), pet. denied.
- Successfully dissolved TRO that was blocking a Fortune 1000 and NYSE company from completing its year-end inventory and financial reporting, and defeated application for preliminary injunction after full evidentiary hearing, leading to quick resolution of the matter. Contract Datascan Inc., v. Regis Corp., 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 63886 (N.D. Tex. 2011).
- Protected international food distributor's distinctive trade dress against competitor's copycat designs for product with over $150 million in annual sales. Competitor ceased use of its copycat design. (2010)
- Recovered significant breach of contract damages for a consulting company against a national franchise. (2010)
- Defended international medical device manufacturer and its U.S. distributor in federal multi-district litigation. Orthopedic Bone Screw Litigation, MDL 1014 (E.D.Pa.)
- Represented manufacturer to restrain sale of unauthorized copies of clients' products manufactured in China.
- Represented electronic payments provider in seminal patent infringement case on the joint infringement doctrine. BMC Resources, Inc. v. Paymentech, L.P., 498 F.3d 1373 (Fed. Cir. 2008)
- Defended manufacturer in false advertising case that resolved with no changes to client's advertising.
- Defended international gas company in breach of contract, fraud and piercing corporate veil suit. Fluorine on Call Ltd. v. Fluorogas Ltd. and The BOC Group, 380 F.3d 849 (5th Cir. 2004)
- Defended environmental services company in property damage and personal injury claims resulting from the collapse of a 500 foot chimney at an East Texas power plant.
- Defended West Texas cement plant in wrongful death suit arising from plant operations.
- Defended global tool company in product liability litigation.
- Texas Top Rated Lawyer, LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell, 2012 - 2016
- Texas Super Lawyer, Intellectual Property, Thomson Reuters, 2012
- AV Rated Lawyer, Martindale-Hubbelll® Peer Review Rated Lawyer of Preeminent 5.0 out of 5.0, LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell, 2000 - 2016
- American Bar Association - Litigation and Intellectual Property Law Sections
- State Bar of Texas - Litigation and Insurance Sections
- Dallas Bar Association - Business Litigation and Intellectual Property Law Sections
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance - Individual Member
- DRI - The Voice of the Defense Bar
- Dallas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Harvard Club of Dallas, Director (2005 - 2011); Chairman (2003 - 2005); President (2001 - 2003)
- The Friday Group (2009 - 2012)
- Watermark Community Church, Founding Member; Business Board (2002 - 2003); Trustee (1999 - 2002)
- Boy Scouts of America, Circle 10, North Trail District, Troop 82 (2005 - 2012)
- Leadership Dallas (2004)
- Leadership Dallas Alumni (2005 - 2016)