Robert T. Mashburn, Jr.
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Robert T. Mashburn, Jr.vCard
Related services and key industries
Robbie Mashburn joined the Houston office in 1997. As senior counsel, he focuses his practice on all types of matters relating to the design, administration and implementation of defined contribution and defined benefit retirement plans, welfare benefit plans, nonqualified deferred compensation plans, and equity based compensation plans, such as stock-based and partnership unit-based compensation option plans, restricted stock or restricted stock unit plans, stock appreciation rights plans and phantom stock plans.
Robbie is experienced in negotiating and preparing executive employment and severance agreements, working with other attorneys in connection with the employee benefits and compensation aspects of mergers, acquisitions, dispositions and spin-offs, and resolving operational and compliance issues with the Internal Revenue Service and the Department of Labor. He has significant experience in the application of ERISA to pension and welfare arrangements and is a member of the ERISA litigation practice group that handles all types of ERISA litigation, including IRS audits, DOL investigations, claims for benefits or breach of fiduciary duty by plan sponsors, administrators and trustees, employer securities issues and ERISA "plan" issues. Robbie serves a diverse client base, including publicly traded corporations and partnerships in various fields, educational institutions, hospitals, governmental entities, churches, closely held companies and individual executives.
LL.M, Taxation, New York University, 1997
JD, magna cum laude, Tulane University, 1996
BSBA, magna cum laude, University of Southwestern Louisiana, 1992
Robbie was Senior Managing Editor of the Tulane Law Review and a member of the Order of the Coif. He is a certified public accountant and was admitted to practice law in Louisiana in 1996 and in Texas in 1997.
- Louisiana State Bar
- Texas State Bar
- Top Lawyer, Houston ERISA, H Texas magazine, 2006
- Texas Super Lawyer, employee benefits/ERISA, Thomson Reuters, 2003
- Top Employee Benefits Lawyer, Houston, Inside Houston magazine, 2002
- Co-author, "IRS Position Shift on Performance-Based Compensation," Fulbright's Corporate & Business Transactions Practice Series, March 2008
- "Update 401(k) Plan Fees Cases - Plaintiffs' Claims Dismissed," Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. ERISA Litigation Briefing, 2007
- "2005 Equity Compensation Plan Issues," Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. Legal Update, 2005
- "The Landscape of ERISA Litigation in the Supreme Court and Fifth Circuit for 2004 (and part of 2005)," Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. ERISA Litigation Update, 2005
- Contributing Author, Employment Law Deskbook for Human Resource Professionals, West, 2004
- "Update New Deferred Compensation Rules/Benefit to Executives," HBA Tax Section, Houston, Texas, November 15, 2006
- "New Deferred Compensation Rules," Shell/Fulbright & Jaworski Tax Seminar, Houston, Texas, June 2006
- "Current IRS Audit and Correction Issues - Tips and Traps," 2005 Southwest Benefits Association/Internal Revenue Service Plan Administrator Skills Workshop, Houston, Texas, February 25, 2005
"Minimum Distribution Requirements," 12th Annual Employee Benefits Conference for Practitioners and Plan Sponsors, Southwest Benefits Association, Dallas, Texas, October 21-23, 2001
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Louisiana Society of Certified Public Accountants