Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Andrey Panov international arbitration and litigation lawyer based in Moscow.
His practice spans corporate, construction, energy, technology and general commercial disputes and focuses on commercial and investment arbitration as well as arbitration-related litigation. Andrey acted as an advocate in numerous complex cross-border cases before Russian courts of all levels and arbitral tribunals acting under the ICC, SCC, LCIA, SIAC and ICAC Rules, governed by English, Swiss, French, German, Dutch, Russian and Cypriot law. He has also advised Russian clients on proceedings conducted in numerous jurisdictions, including England, Switzerland, Cyprus, Jersey, the British Virgin Islands and the Marshall Islands. He has a wide range of experience in all key aspects of international arbitration and litigation, including enforcement of foreign arbitral awards and state court judgments in Russia and abroad as well as obtaining interim measures from Russian courts in support of foreign proceedings.
In addition to his counsel work, Andrey also sits as an arbitrator in both domestic and international arbitration matters. He is included in the lists of various arbitral institutions, including the Russian ICAC.
Andrey is featured by Who's Who Legal in the ranking of the Future Leaders of Arbitration (2017), where he is praised as "a rising star" who has "a scientific approach and a natural understanding of international arbitration". He is also ranked by Chambers Europe, where sources describe him as "completely at ease" on complex cases, while clients appreciate his "good preparation and ethical approach" and praise him as "an excellent orator". Expert Guides 2016 ranked him among the rising stars in international arbitration. Andrey was also voted one of Russia's Top Young Arbitration Practitioners by RAA 40 (in 2014, 2015 and 2016).
Andrey graduated with honours from the Law Faculty of the Moscow State University and holds MJur (Masters) degree with distinction from the University of Oxford, where he was a Weidenfeld scholar. A native Russian speaker, he is fluent in English and German and has basic knowledge of French and Italian.
- Lawyer, qualified in Russia
- a Cyprus based company which holds shares in a number of solar projects in Japan and other countries, in ICC arbitration and related court proceedings in the Netherlands and Cyprus; the dispute arising out of shareholders agreements exceeded €50m.
- a subsidiary of the World's largest energy company in arbitration against a Canadian company arising out of gas treatment equipment sale contract governed by the laws of Alberta (Canada).
- the world's largest ammonia producer in an LCIA arbitration against its longstanding Swiss partner for recovery of the sums underpaid under the agreement between the parties. The case revolves around the issue of interpretation of certain provisions of the underling agreement and the interplay between the English law rules on equitable set-off and Russian foreign currency exchange regulations.
- the German client in the litigation before the Russian courts commenced by the bankruptcy administrator of the client's former Russian partner in breach of the arbitration agreement in the underlying contract. Despite the opposing party's argument that its lack of funds to pay the arbitration fees should render the arbitration clause unenforceable, the arbitration clause was upheld and the case was terminated.
- a subsidiary of a large Russian oil company in relation to the maritime dispute under the LMAA Rules and in relation to the amicable settlement of the dispute.
- the Russian subsidiary of a major Austrian construction company in the appeal before the Supreme Court against the lower court judgments refusing enforcement of the ICAC award on the grounds of public policy, as the arbitrators allegedly interpreted the underlying contract incorrectly. Shortly after the filing of the appeal matter was settled amicably.
- a major Russian agribusiness company on the potential LCIA arbitration against their joint venture partner relating to the agricultural assets across Russia.
- a client on the SIAC arbitration against a Russian company for non-payment of certain fees under an agreement.
- a major Middle Eastern real estate development company on the LCIA arbitration arising out of a joint venture dispute against their Russian partner and parallel proceedings in Russia.
- the leading provider of enterprise software solutions to retail and wholesale market in relation to an ICAC arbitration arising out of an alleged underpayment under the share purchase agreement.
- a major Russian microelectronics company in the ICC arbitration in Frankfurt against a German company in a case concerning design, procurement and implementation of a mobile communication centre prototype.
- the UK-based client on the ICC arbitration against the Russian company and subsequent settlement of the dispute arising out of an agreement for construction and development on the oil field in the Norther part of Russia. Advising on the amicable settlement of the pending arbitration case.
- a Russian EPC company in an ICC construction arbitration arising out of a subcontract for reconstruction of an oil refinery in Russia. The claim and counterclaim are in aggregate over US$75m.
Publication | May 2018
Publication | October 2017
Publication | October 2017
Publication | June 2017