Related services and key industries
Dividing his time between our Montréal and Québec offices, Pierre-Étienne Morand focuses on hirings, terminations, employment standards, occupational health and safety, human rights and freedoms and issues relating to the use of French in the workplace. He also deals with the interpretation and application of individual employment contracts and participates in collective bargaining in unionized workplaces. He acts before the Quebec Commission des relations du travail (labour relations board) and Commission des lésions professionnelles (employment injury review board), grievance arbitration tribunals, the Quebec civil courts and various government departments and agencies.
Mr. Morand has also gained experience in the area of business immigration and international mobility, rounding out the employment and labour law services he offers clients. Mr. Morand provides employers with turnkey solutions that include obtaining the required authorizations from the Quebec and federal authorities to hire foreign nationals (requests for labour market opinions (LMOs), applications for temporary permits to work in Canada, applications for temporary residence visas for foreign nationals who are inadmissible to enter Canada due to a criminal record or serious medical issues, applications for approval of rehabilitation, etc.). Mr. Morand also assists with the admission of foreign nationals’ spouses and/or children and with applications for permanent residence in Canada.
In recent years, Mr. Morand has gained particular experience with compliance issues faced by employers under the Canadian Temporary Foreign Worker Program.
Mr. Morand is one of the editors of our global practice’s employment and labour law blog, Global Workplace Insider.
During his law studies, Mr. Morand studied European community law, including mobility law, at a summer school program at Université Jean Moulin Lyon 3 in France.
B.C.L./LL.B., McGill University, 2004
- Quebec 2006
- "Le télé-travail : Nouvelles perspectives et modalités de la prestation de travail" (with Geneviève Baillargeon Bouchard), conférence Yvon Blais, November 2016.
- "Employer Compliance Under the International Mobility Program and the Temporary Foreign Worker Program", Canadian law conference, Canadian Bar Association, Vancouver, April 2016.
- “Embauche de travailleurs étrangers et détachement à l’extérieur du Québec : Comment s’y retrouver?” (with Jean‑Philippe Brunet), Conférence Yvon Blais, February 2015.
- “Les drogues et l’alcool dans le domaine de l’emploi : une problématique incontournable,” (with Gwenaelle Thibaut), Conférence Yvon Blais, May 2014.
- “L’injonction et les ordonnances en matière de relations du travail,” continuing education day on injunctions, Quebec Bar, Quebec City, May 2013.
- “Questions de compétence en matière d’accommodement suite à une lésion professionnelle : compétence de l’arbitre de grief,” luncheon meeting, Canadian Bar Association, Quebec Branch, Montreal, February 2013.
- “La protection des travailleurs au Canada,” Canadian law conference, Canadian Bar Association, Vancouver, August 2012.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Quebec Branch
- Immigration and Citizenship Section
- Quebec Branch
- Lecturer, Collective bargaining and Labour law courses, Quebec Bar Admission Course, since 2012
- Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers
Canada – EU free trade agreement: CETA to provide Canadian companies with increased international mobility options
Publication | September 2017
Publication | November 2016
Publication | September 2016
Skilled workers in francophone minority communities outside Quebec exempt from the Labour Market Impact Assessment required for a work permit
Publication | April 2016