National Director, Knowledge Management
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Sukesh Kamra is a lawyer and the national director of knowledge management for Canada.
He leads our KM practice and is responsible for implementing a national strategy and action plan to work smarter and more efficiently, while leveraging advanced forms of technology to eliminate waste and control legal costs. He provides our clients with innovative legal products and solutions to address specific business risk. Mr. Kamra is an internationally recognized expert in client-facing KM and innovation.
With over 15 years of experience, Mr. Kamra is responsible for developing practice resources and new approaches to capture and leverage our tacit and explicit value-added knowledge to efficiently deliver legal services to our clients. He is also responsible for the overall direction of our national library and intelligence service.
Mr. Kamra is the winner of the 2018 Canadian Lawyer Top 25 Most Influential Lawyers in Canada under the Changemaker category for his work in legal technology and innovation. He is also the winner of the 2018 Knowledge Management Leadership Award presented by the International HRD Congress. In addition, he led a team of professionals to third place at the 2018 USA We.CONECT Intranet Reloaded Awards in the category of Digital Workplace Management for his work on the client innovation portal initiative. His team's work in innovative legal technology has shortlisted the firm as a nominee for the 2018 British Legal Week Innovation Awards for Client Management Innovation. Under his direction, his team's work in client solutions development was recognized as "highly commended" and "commended" in two categories at the 2018 North American Financial Times Innovative Lawyers Awards.
Mr. Kamra is the recipient of the highly coveted 2017 International Legal Technology Association's Knowledge Management Professional of the Year Award. He was also inducted in 2017 as a Fellow of the College of Law Practice Management, joining a very distinguished group of law practice management executives.
Mr. Kamra is also the recipient of the prestigious international College of Law Practice Management's 2016 InnovAction Award, given to an individual who demonstrates advanced innovation, for the firm's client innovation portal initiative. He was also a top 10 finalist for the 2016 KM World Reality Award.
Mr. Kamra is a gold medallist from the University of Ottawa's National Program. He clerked at the Federal Court of Canada with two honorable justices and holds a yellow belt certification in Legal Lean Sigma and Project Management. Mr. Kamra is a member of both the Contract Express Document Automation User and Advisory Group and the Practical Law Canada Knowledge Management Advisory Board at Thomson Reuters. He is also a member of the Neota Logic Client Advisory Board. Mr. Kamra is a certified mental health first aid officer.
- LL.M., University of Ottawa, 2003
- LL.B. (common law), University of Ottawa, 2001 (Gold Medallist) (magna cum laude)
- LL.B. (civil law), Université de Montréal, 2000
- Canadian Lawyer Magazine's Top 25 Most Influential Lawyers (Changemaker: innovation and legal technology) 2018
- Digital Workplace Management - 3rd place, We.CONECT Intranet Reloaded Awards 2018
- KM Leadership Award, International HRD Congress 2018
- Fellow Award - College of Law Practice Management 2017
- Knowledge Management Professional of the Year Award - International Legal Technology Association 2017
- InnovAction Award - College of Law Practice Management 2016
ILTA KM Tools - New and Classics Webinar - KM Toolkit: Then, Now and What's Next
- "The future of law firms", Canadian Legal Innovation Forum, Toronto, February 2019.
- "Joining Forces - Create Client-Centric Knowledge Management - Legal Tech", Legal Week, New York, January 2019.
- "Embracing Technophobia: Training Technologically Competent Lawyers," Thomson Reuters Emerging Technology Conference, Toronto, October 2018.
- "Serving Up Tools Clients Really Want: Legal innovation and process improvement," ILTACON 2018, Washington, D.C., August 2018.
- "Robots in Law, Automation & A.I.: What does this mean for Knowledge Management?", British Columbia Legal Management Association, webinar, June 2018.
- "Evolving Roles of KM Professionals," International Legal Technology Association, podcast, June 2018.
- "Building Value-Based Applications To Better Serve Clients," International Legal Technology Association, webinar, May 2018.
- Orange Chair Interview, Thomson Reuters, Canadian Leadership Team, Toronto, April 2018.
- "How KM helps to innovate in law firms," HRD Congress & Conference, Mumbai, India, February 2018.
- "Client-facing Knowledge Management @ Norton Rose Fulbright," Show & Share, Post-Legal Tech Week, KM Summit, New York, NY, February 2018.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Knowledge Management Institute of Canada
- Conference Board of Canada, Council on Information and Knowledge Management
- Toronto Knowledge Management Legal Forum
- International Legal Technology Association
- Toronto Law Firm Innovation Group
- Knowledge and Innovation Network
- Thomson Reuters Document Automation Contract Express User and Advisory Group
- Thomson Reuters Practical Law Canada Knowledge Management Advisory Board
- Neota Logic Client Advisory Board
- Toronto PAN AM 2015, Management — Event Venue Services Host Volunteer (Hamilton Soccer Stadium)