Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
As part of the intellectual property group, Michelle's practice focuses on patent litigation, patent prosecution, and intellectual property transactions. Michelle's experience has spanned a variety of technological fields, including medical devices, chemistry, energy, and electronic devices.
Her experience in disputes and litigation includes patent, trade secret, and copyright litigation; breach of contract and tortious interference claims; and securities fraud defense. Her patent prosecution experience includes patent portfolio management and patent counseling, as well as involvement in inter partes reviews (IPR). In addition, Michelle has experience in patentability opinions, freedom to operate evaluations, and intellectual property due diligence, including advising clients in acquisitions and transactions involving licensing and intellectual property issues. Michelle is the Regional Lead for the U.S. for the Global Technology Associates Group.
Michelle is licensed to practice in the state of New York bar and before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, the Federal Circuit, and the United States District Courts in the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and Texas.
JD, New York University, 2013
BS, summa cum laude, Biomedical Engineering, The University of Texas (Austin), 2009
While in law school, Michelle was a senior editor for the Journal of Intellectual Property & Entertainment Law and was a member of the Asian-Pacific American Law Students Association.
- New York State Bar
- US Patent & Trademark Attorney
- Author, "Federal Circuit rules that PTAB's decision on time-bar is still not appealable," Patent Challenges, Jan. 19, 2017
- Co-author, "Federal Circuit provides guidance on broadest reasonable interpretation standard for claim construction in PTAB proceedings," Patent Challenges, May 27, 2016
Co-author, "Getting US Trade Secret Evidence Into Chinese Courts," Law360, Feb. 23, 2016
- Co-author, "Federal Circuit approves having same PTAB panel make both institution and final decisions in IPR proceedings," Patent Challenges, Feb. 19, 2016
- Co-author, "Motion to exclude is "improper vehicle" to challenge qualification of prior art under § 102(b)," Patent Challenges, Sep. 29, 2015
- Co-author, "PTAB does not have jurisdiction in IPRs to review procedural issues from the original prosecution," Patent Challenges, Aug. 25, 2015
- Co-author, "PTAB denies IPR petition for failure to be clear and succinct," Patent Challenges, Aug. 11, 2015
- Co-author, "PTAB finds patent non-obvious based on secondary considerations," Patent Challenges, Apr. 24, 2015
- Co-author, "Federal Circuit affirms PTAB in first review of IPR decision," Patent Challenges ,Feb. 16, 2015
- Co-author, "PTAB denies patent owner's request for additional third party discovery," Patent Challenges, Jan. 26, 2015
- Co-author, "PTAB denies request to add additional challenge to claims in instituted CBM review," Patent Challenges, Nov. 10, 2014
- Co-author, "'Speaking objections' improper and could result in exclusion of testimony," Patent Challenges, Oct. 27, 2014
- Co-author, "PTAB grants corrected filing date based on 'clerical error'," Patent Challenges, Oct. 17, 2014
- Co-author, "Implications of the America Invents Act: Reliance on Trade Secrets vs. Patents," HIPLA/UH Annual Institute on Intellectual Property, October 11, 2014
- Co-author, "Quality over quantity: PTAB exercises discretion to deny IPR petition for 'administrative efficiency'," Patent Challenges, Sept. 18, 2014
Michelle volunteers as an attorney mentor in Legal Outreach's Mentoring Program to a student mentee in Legal Outreach's "College Bound" program.
- Mandarin Chinese