David E. BarrettvCard
Related services and key industries
David E. Barrett is a member of Norton Rose Fulbright's Corporate, M&A and Securities and Financial Institutions practice areas. He advises buyers, sellers and investors on acquisitions and disposals, restructurings, securities offerings, joint ventures and other transactions involving financial, technology and industrial businesses of all types. A significant number of his clients are domiciled outside of the U.S., and Mr. Barrett has considerable experience representing non-U.S. clients on acquisitions and divestitures of U.S. targets.
Mr. Barrett has extensive experience with transactions involving financial institutions, financial services firms and financial technology ("FinTech") businesses. His clients include banks, insurance companies, investment managers and advisors, including private equity and hedge fund sponsors, wealth managers, broker-dealers and other financial investors, including pension funds.
Mr. Barrett also advises insurance companies and managing general agents on the underwriting of transactional risk policies, including M&A representations and warranties policies.
In addition to financial institutions, Mr. Barrett counsels both emerging and mature technology firms, as well as venture capital and other investors active in the industry. In particular, Mr. Barrett focuses on businesses innovating in financial technology, including firms focused on the application of blockchain and distributed ledger technologies.
JD, Harvard Law School, 2001
BA, Emory University, 1998
- New York State Bar
Mercer Investments, a division of the Marsh & McLennan Companies, in its acquisition of Summit Strategies Group
Fidante Partners in its strategic partnership and acquisition of a minority stake in Latigo Partners
Aquiline Capital Partners in the sale of Beach & Associates to Acrisure
Konica Minolta, Inc. in its acquisition of Invicro LLC
- Credit Suisse in the sale of NEXT Investors' interests in FastMatch, Inc. to Euronext, in connection with Euronext's acquisition of 90% of FastMatch in a transaction valued at $170 million in equity value
- Carillon Tower Advisers, Inc., a division of Raymond James Financial, Inc., in its acquisition of Scout Investments Inc. from UMB Financial Corp. for $172.5 million
- Siebert Financial Corp. in its sale to Kennedy Cabot Acquisition, LLC
- Diversified financial services firm in the acquisition of a wealth management business from a global bank
- Financial and strategic buyers of minority interests in asset management firms, including hedge, private equity and other fund sponsors utilizing alternative strategies
- Diversified financial services firm in multiple acquisitions of asset management firms and financial technology businesses
- Global insurance company in its acquisition of a retirement plan servicing business
- Publicly-traded asset management firm in its sale to a multinational banking and financial services corporation
- Global banking and financial services company in the sale of its primary U.S. asset management division to private equity
- U.S. brokerage firm in its sale to a global financial services firm
- Global financial services firm in the sale of its minority interest in an investment and technology firm
- New York Metro Rising Star, Mergers and Acquisitions, Thomson Reuters, 2013-2018
- Legal 500 US, recommended lawyer, M&A: Middle-Market ($500m-999m), The Legal 500, 2017-2018
- Co-author, "Fintech: A New M&A Frontier," New York Law Journal, October 31, 2016
- Co-author, "The DAO's Wild Ride: Where Does Blockchain Go From Here?," Forbes, July 1, 2016
- David contributes to the Financial Services: Regulation Tomorrow blog, which provides insight and commentary on the global financial regulatory environment.
- David contributes to Norton Rose Fulbright's Global Asset Management Quarterly
Co-Speaker, "Initial Coin Offerings," Financial Services 40-Minute Briefing, October 5, 2017
- Co-Presenter, "Blockchain and Smart Contracts: An Introduction," Marsh USA web seminar, July 27, 2017
- Moderator, "Fintech: Smart contracts and regulating for innovation," Norton Rose Fulbright, January 5, 2017
Co-Speaker, "Brexit," Financial Services 40-Minute Briefing, November 2, 2016
- Speaker, "Smart Contracts," ACC Annual Meeting, October 2016
- Moderator, "Brexit: What it is and how it will affect your business," Norton Rose Fulbright, May 2016