The scale of our oil and gas practice sets us apart from the rest of the field in Africa. We have teams on the continent in Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town in South Africa, Dar es Salaam in Tanzania, and Casablanca in Morocco, as well as teams across our global oil and gas practice that are dedicated to working throughout the region.
Our oil and gas team in South Africa advises clients across all aspects of the sector, including upstream, midstream, downstream, and related services.
As the opportunities in the South African oil and gas market continue to grow, our team is able to advise clients across the full range of matters, including projects, E&P regulatory, M&A, finance, corporate, tax, anti-trust, employment & labour, health & safety, environment, shipping and transport, disputes, and general regulation and investigations.
Our areas of work include
- applications for reconnaissance, technical co-operation permits
- applications for and the registration of exploration and production rights
- advising on environmental legislative requirements pertaining to the above applications
- advising on and drafting agreements pertaining to BEE requirements
- advising on and making representations to government regarding proposed legislative measures and amendments
- advice relating to project finance, mergers, acquisitions and divestments
- advice relating to financing of drillships, rigs, supply vessels
- advising banks in relation to the financing of off-shore exploration and production assets
- appeals and judicial reviews, and dispute resolution
- competition and other regulatory advice
- damage and injury claims
- drafting of fiscal stability agreements
- drafting of drilling rig services agreements
- due diligence investigations pertaining to potential farm-ins and acquisitions
- emergency incident response (spills, fire, explosions and asset damage, health and safety)
- legal advice relating to rig operation and management services, shuttle tanker charters and other oilfield services
- midstream and downstream environmental and regulatory advice and drafting of relevant applications pertaining to refineries, LNG and LPG projects
- negotiating and drafting of farm-in and joint operating agreements
- negotiation and drafting of offshore supply contracts
- tax, royalty, and other fiscal implications
Our recent work
- Advising Chevron on a co-operation agreement and proposed farm-in with Falcon Oil and Gas regarding unconventional gas in the Karoo Basin, South Africa.
- Advising PetroSA in relation to the regulatory framework for exploration for and exploitation of South Africa’s shale gas reserves.
- Advising PetroSA on the Drilling Rig Services Agreements for project Ikwezi (Block 9).
- Advising an energy utility on proposed acquisition of unconventional gas (Coal Bed Methane) exploration rights in South Africa.
- Advising SacOil Holdings on its secondary listing on the Alternative Investments Market of the London Stock Exchange.
- Advising Chevron on the implications and implementation of the new South African fuel pricing mechanism (Regulated Accounts System).
- Advising a Far Eastern conglomerate on proposed acquisition of offshore oil and gas assets in Mozambique, Tanzania and Kenya.
- Advising an IOC in connection with the negotiation and amendment of two PSCs in Madagascar.
- Advising Lukoil in relation to a proposed farm-in to offshore gas exploration blocks in Tanzania.
- Advising PetroSA on its proposed LNG terminal and gas-to-power generation projects, including terminal construction, master LNG Sale and Purchase Agreement, and off-take agreements
- Advising Sonangol on a Master LNG sale and purchase agreement with Angola LNG.
- Advising a global LPG trader on the establishment of its business in Southern Africa and the development of several LPG import, storage and distribution facilities in South Africa.
- Advising Eni SpA’s refining and marketing division on regulatory issues and downstream distribution arrangements in Tanzania.
- Songas (a subsidiary of Globeleq) on the expansion of a gas processing plant on the island of Songo Songo, Tanzania.
- Representing the interests of the respective Fuel Consortia (including several IOCs) in the conclusion of the long-term lease and use arrangements pertaining to the jetfuel hydrant and refuelling systems at major South Africa airports.
- Representing a consortium undertaking feasibility studies for the deployment of LNG barges in Mozambique to facilitate temporary storage and onshore/offshore supply to customers.
- Advising on the proposed establishment of an LNG import and distribution infrastructure, gas purchase arrangements and gas sales agreements in South Africa.
- Advising the South African national oil company on the refit and conversion of the MODU “Omega” to the FPSO “Orca” for deployment in the Oribi offshore oil project (Block 9).
- Advising Itochu Corporation on its supply agreement to the EPC Consortium for a gas pipeline between Mozambique and South Africa for the export of gas from the Temane field.
- Advising an independent oil and gas exploration company in arbitration, litigation and alternative dispute resolution proceedings, relating to a Shareholder’s Agreement, a Participation Agreement, a Farm out Agreement and a Joint Operating Agreement, with respect to a dispute with the holder of the exploration license in a property offshore Nigeria.