Our South African transport team forms an integral part of one of the world’s leading transport legal practices, offering expert advice on all commercial and dispute related aspects of transport law. As a key industry sector for the practice, transport law is a focus for our lawyers and we have achieved international recognition for our work in the field.
We provide ongoing advice to a range of high profile clients including ship owners, charterers, commodity traders, rail authorities, aircraft and rolling stock manufacturers, transport brokers, marine and aviation hull, cargo and liability insurers and brokers, terminal operators, warehousemen, and stevedores. Working closely with our colleagues across the globe, we deliver both local and multi-jurisdictional advice on a range of transport law matters throughout Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia.
As part of a multi-disciplinary legal practice, we offer the full range of legal services required by the transport industry and work seamlessly with our colleagues from all legal practice groups to provide a holistic, expert service, unparalleled in the African market.
Our areas of work include
- admiralty, shipping and marine insurance
- casualty response
Our recent work
- Matola port expansion - Advising Grindrod Mauritius, a subsidiary of Grindrod Limited, in relation to the USD800 million expansion and development of Terminal de Carvão da Matola Limitada (TCM) Phase 4 project, the coal terminal in Matola at the Port of Maputo in Mozambique. We are advising on all legal aspects of the project, including the concession, project finance, construction, commercial (rail and port), environmental and tax, and we are working closely with the advisory team, including Mozambican counsel and Standard Chartered Bank as financial advisers.
- Air Namibia and RMB International - Advised RMB International (Dublin) Limited (now FirstRand (Ireland) plc) (as Agent and Security Trustee) as principal counsel in connection with a US$80 million acquisition by BCI Aircraft Leasing Ireland C, Limited of 2 Airbus A340-300 aircraft, leased to Air Namibia. The transaction involved four jurisdictions (Namibia, USA, UK and Ireland) and key financing documents were under English law. Aircraft mortgages were registered over the aircraft using the International Registry in Ireland under the Cape Town Convention.Mozambican counsel and Standard Chartered Bank as financial advisers.
- Northwest Rail Company - Advising Northwest Rail Company in Zambia in relation to its joint venture with Grindrod for the construction of a railway line from the Zambian Copperbelt to the Angolan border. This involved preparing and negotiating the joint venture agreement and the commercial terms for the operating agreement and the offtake agreements.
- MV Smart: AIG Insurance Hong Kong – Advised AIG Insurance Hong Kong regarding policy and recovery action against owners of vessel and port authority following total loss of vessel and cargo off Richards Bay.
Awards and accolades
- Airfinance Journal awards: African Deal of the Year Award (Q400s lease to South African Express) 2012
- Chambers Global: Ranked Band 1 for Transport and branded “a top firm – the lawyers have a reputation for being hands on and have an innovative and client facing approach”