Foreign Legal Consultant
Norton Rose Fulbright Hong Kong
Related services and key industries
Marc Waha leads our Asia Antitrust and Competition Team. He is based in the Hong Kong and Tokyo offices.
Marc advises international companies on antitrust regimes in East Asia, and Asian companies on global competition compliance issues, multi-jurisdictional merger filings and international cartel investigations, particularly in Europe and Asia. For more than 20 years he has represented clients active in a wide variety of industrial and services sectors, with a focus on advising Asian companies on global antitrust and competition law matters.
Recent work highlights include:
advising QatarEnergy in respect of Asian merger control clearances for eight parallel natural gas joint ventures with international energy companies;
securing merger control clearance for one of the world's largest Sino-foreign upstream oil joint ventures;
representing a third party in obtaining the imposition of remedies by Japan's Fair Trade Commission in respect of Google's acquisition of Fitbit (the authority's first ex officio review of a foreign transaction as a "killer acquisition");
securing the end of an investigation by the Hong Kong Competition Commission into a ports terminal joint venture by way of commitments;
assisting the operator of a digital marketplace in respect of an investigation by the Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore, with the authority deciding not to take action;
securing unconditional clearances across Asia for the merger of the two largest airlines in Hong Kong; and
successfully defending a respondent in the first court case brought by the Hong Kong Competition Commission, with the court dismissing the Commission's case.
Marc is the author of the first edition of the Hong Kong Competition Law Handbook (Butterworths). He and the Norton Rose Fulbright team have been involved in training programmes for Asian competition authorities. Legal guides have ranked our Asia Competition Team as a top tier competition practice and Marc as a leading lawyer for several years, commenting as follows: "High reputation for his merger control clearance work" (Chambers & Partners Global Guide); and "Clients praise Marc Waha as a 'business-minded, straight-to-the-point and brilliant lawyer'" (European Legal 500).
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
Recent publications and presentations include the following. A full list is available upon request.
- Regulating market power in technology markets, guest lecturer, Tokyo University Law School, Tokyo, Japan (November 2022)
- Green competition policy: benefits and challenges – A practitioner's perspective, remarks before the before the 60th Philippine Economic Society Annual Meeting and Conference, Manila, Philippines (November 2022)
- Recent FDI review trends in Europe and proposed EU anti-subsidy regulation, presentation to the Japan Institute for Overseas Investment, Tokyo, Japan (February 2022)
- Recent trends in regulating monopolies and market power, guest lecturer, Tokyo University Law School, Tokyo, Japan (December 2021)
- Merger regulation in the tech sector in Asia, panel chair, Global Competition Review's Law Leaders' Asia-Pacific Forum 2021, Singapore (August 2021)
- Merger review process in Asia expected to become increasingly challenging, World Financier, July 2021
- Antitrust in Asia – due process investigations, panel chair, Concurrences' Antitrust in Asia Webinar, Tokyo, Japan (November 2020)
- Competition law compliance programmes, International Bar Association Annual Conference, Seoul, Korea (September 2019)
- No-poach agreements and other labour market concerns, Global Competition Review's Annual Cartels Conference 2019, Washington DC, USA (March 2019)
- Merger control: gun jumping and remedies, panel chair, Global Competition Review's Antitrust Law Leaders' Forum 2019, Singapore (March 2019)
- Approaching leniency procedures in the EU, remarks before the 7th Annual Competition Law and Regulatory Global Forum, Hong Kong (July 2018)
- Competition law and policy in the internet economy, panel chair, Global Competition Review's Antitrust Law Leaders' Forum 2018, Singapore (March 2018)
- Diversity of merger control in Asia, remarks before the Association des Praticiens du Droit de la Concurrence, Paris, France (September 2017)
- Japanese companies selling abroad: common competition law issues, remarks before the 4th Annual Competition Law Summit, Tokyo, Japan (September 2017)
- Hong Kong merger control, in The Merger Control Review (LBR, August 2017) [co-authored with Pearl Yeung and Sophie Chen]
- Competition law and telecommunications: key regulatory challenges, discussant, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong (March 2017)
Competition in context: Business implications and risks of antitrust issues
Publication | February 22, 2023
People’s Republic of China: Competition law fact sheet
Publication | February 21, 2023
Antitrust and competition law in Asia
Publication | February 14, 2023