Families with assets and family members around the world face complex legal challenges as a result of changing tax and property laws and increasing regulation of financial services. These families and their advisors require sophisticated legal services across multiple disciplines and jurisdictions. Our private wealth, trusts and estates practice group understands how to protect and maintain the wealth earned, often over multiple generations, by the hard work of these families.
Our lawyers advise high net worth individuals and family offices, closely-held businesses, and private banks on investment structuring and diligence, real estate and other property, risk management, family governance, tax planning and controversies, estate planning, estate and trust administration, business succession planning, charitable giving, fiduciary litigation and related matters.
Our clients include some of the world’s wealthiest multinational families, including major shareholders of publicly-traded companies, senior executives of Fortune 500 companies, top management of financial institutions (banks, hedge funds, private equity funds), single and multi-family offices, private investors and entertainers and professional athletes.
Our work for these clients extends to charitable foundations and other non-profit institutions they have established or for which they serve as leaders and benefactors. We also advise financial institutions in their capacities as trustees, executors, custodians and investment advisers.
Our areas of work include
- Art, antiquities and collectibles
- Asset protection
- Automobiles, yachts, shipping and aviation
- Charities and other non-profits
- Corporate formations and restructurings
- CRS/AEOI compliance
- Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity
- Domestic and international tax advice
- Employment and labor
- Estate planning, including drafting of wills and trusts, property management and medical authorization documents
- Estate, gift and transfer taxation
- Family disputes
- FATCA compliance
- Governance models for families
- Immigration law, including citizenship and domiciliation
- Investment funds and joint ventures
- Life insurance planning
- Offshore accounts and trusts
- Private equity direct investments
- Private trust company formation
- Real estate investments
- Risk management
- Succession planning
- Tax controversies, audits and reporting obligations
- Tax treaties
- Trusts and estate litigation