Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
- Antitrust and competition
- Power and utilities
- Cartels and antitrust investigations
- Merger control
- Regulation and investigations
- Risk consulting
Claire Forster is a competition, consumer and regulatory lawyer based in Sydney.
Claire co-heads the power and renewables practices in Australia. She advises major Australian and global market players at all levels of the energy supply chain (including generators, networks, retailers, energy users and governments). She works with these clients to optimise their market participation within the complex regulatory frameworks, increasingly in the context of renewables and emerging technologies (both grid scale and retail).
Holding a masters degree in competition law, Claire advises on all aspects of competition law and access, counselling on strategic joint ventures, mergers and market dominance issues in concentrated and monopoly sectors.
Claire is accustomed to dealing with regulators (including the ACCC, AER, AEMO and State-based fair trading offices and energy regulators). Described by clients as "capable and diligent", her strong advocacy and solutions-based approach has led to great outcomes in adversarial and cooperative contexts across cartels, mergers, exclusive dealing, joint ventures, consumer law and energy. She has worked on many regulatory investigations and cases, advised on and obtained merger clearances for domestic and cross-border transactions, and secured authorisations from the ACCC.
Claire is recognised in Best Lawyers for Competition Law and Regulatory Law. She has also been recognised in the Legal 500 in these fields.
- Master of Laws (Competition Law focus), University of Melbourne (2013)
- Bachelor of Commerce (Marketing), University of New South Wales (2005)
- Bachelor of Laws, University of New South Wales (2005)
- High Court of Australia 2007
- Supreme Court of New South Wales 2006
- Best Lawyers - Competition Law
- Best Lawyers - Regulatory Law
- Recognised as an Energy and Regulations Lawyer and Competition and Trade Lawyer, Legal 500
- Special Counsel of the Year; Lawyers Weekly Women in Law Awards (2015)
Podcast | November 29, 2023
Publication | October 25, 2023
Publication | September 27, 2023