Norton Rose Fulbright (Central Europe) LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Yaroslav is a Head of our dispute resolution practice in Russia and the CIS. He is highly regarded for dispute resolution with significant experience in domestic litigation, cross-border disputes and international arbitration. Yaroslav is often involved in high-profile disputes.
Yaroslav is endorsed by all leading legal directories: Chambers, Best Lawyers, Who's Who Legal and Legal 500, as a leading lawyer in international arbitration, domestic and cross-border litigation. He is also praised by national legal rankings Pravo.ru and Kommersant as a leading lawyer in commercial dispute resolution and international commercial arbitration, and by ExpertGuides as a leading commercial arbitrator. Clients comment: "He is very calm, thoughtful and shrewd. We recommend him all the time" (Chambers Global); [Yaroslav Klimov] is "a determined and skilful lawyer who is particularly adept at considering all the different angles in complex litigation cases" (Legal 500 EMEA).
Yaroslav has been a member of the Moscow Bar Association since 1997. In addition to his counsel work he sits as an arbitrator in both domestic and international arbitration matters. He is included in the lists of arbitrators of various arbitral institutions: London Court for International Arbitration (LCIA), the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC), the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC), Pacific International Arbitration Centre (PIAC) and Russian Arbitration Association (RAA). Yaroslav is also included in the recent Roster of International Arbitrators.
Yaroslav is a graduate of the Moscow State Institute of International Relations (MGIMO) with honours and holds a Doctorate in Law from the Institute of State and Law of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
Yaroslav joined us in 2011 having previously worked for a major international law firm for 15 years. A native Russian speaker, Yaroslav is fluent in English, German and French.
- Advocate, qualified in Russia
- a leading medical equipment manufacturer with respect to anti-trust investigation initiated by Investigative Committee of Russia in Samara region against company's top-managers and employees
- the Russian subsidiary of a leading international bank in a US$39m high profile dispute initiated by the bankruptcy manager of a Russian company with regard to alleged divesting of funds by the controlling persons of this company; court proceedings are taking place in Kalmykia
- a Cyprus based company which holds shares in a number of solar projects in Japan and other countries, in ICC arbitration and related court proceedings in the Netherlands and Cyprus; the dispute arising out of shareholders agreements exceeded €50m
- the world's leading ammonia producer in the LCIA arbitration against its longstanding Swiss partner for recovery of the sums underpaid under the agreement between the parties; the case revolves around the issue of interpretation of certain provisions of the underling agreement and the interplay between the English law rules on equitable set-off and Russian foreign currency exchange regulations
- a leading European construction company at the Supreme Court of Russia in enforcement procedure of an ICAC award against a leading Russian steelwork manufacturer; following filing of the cassation complaint with the Supreme Court, the respondent offered the settlement to our client; the case has now been settled and the cassation complaint was withdrawn from the Supreme Court
- a leading Japanese lubricant producer as a respondent in a claim brought by the Russian Consumers' Union together with an individual consumer; the Claimants alleged that a car was broken due to the low quality of motor oil, and based their claim on the alleged violations of the Law On Protection of the Consumers' rights taken place in the result of importing the motor oil by the importer
- a leading Russian producer in a conspiracy claim in Cyprus in proceedings against its minority shareholders and other affiliated parties; the role in this high-profile case widely discussed in mass media was to defend the client from the attempts of hostile takeover
- a leading Russian project management company in the ICC construction arbitration in Geneva against a Spanish general contractor; the dispute with value over US $75 million was connected with the modernisation of the oil refinery plant in Russian Far East
the world's leading ammonia producer in a litigation initiated by a minority shareholder claiming nearly a 5 per cent block of shares; the case pending over two years before Russian and Irish courts was won in the highest court instance - the Supreme Commercial Court of the Russian Federation.
- “[Yaroslav Klimov] is knowledgeable and strategic”. (Chambers Global, 2016)
- “He is very calm, thoughtful and shrewd. We recommend him all the time”. (Chambers Global, 2015)
- “[Yaroslav Klimov] is ‘a determined and skilful lawyer who is particularly adept at considering all the different angles in complex litigation cases’”. (Legal 500 EMEA, 2015).