Head of Tax, Europe, Middle East and Asia
Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Dominic Stuttaford is head of tax for Europe, Middle East and Asia, and is based in London. He focuses on the tax aspects of corporate finance and other finance transactions and structures, with a particular interest in the insurance and technology sectors. He trained at the firm and became a partner in 1999.
Dominic’s experience includes: mergers and acquisitions of public and private companies; group restructurings; acquisitions; and other finance structures.
Dominic has been recommended in Chambers and Partners and Legal 500 and has been described as “extremely bright”, with clients remarking that “he can be relied upon to come up with the right answers”. Chambers UK 2015 states that "he is very proactive, thorough and knowledgeable, and always delivers what we need, when we need it." Dominic has been recognised as a leading corporate tax lawyer by Who’s Who Legal, 2014.
Dominic is a member of the Law Society International Tax Committee and the Chartered Institute of Taxation (CTA). He is on the editorial committee of the Practical Law for Companies (PLC).
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- BMW – advised on a complex tax appeal securing successful outcomes before the Upper Tier Tax Tribunal and Court of Appeal in a highly significant case concerning VAT grouping. The Court of Appeal upheld the Upper Tier Tax Tribunal ruling and decided in favour of BMW. It establishes that the right to claim a VAT refund lies with the representative member of a VAT group at the time the claim is made, regardless of any changes in group membership. This is a complex case involving a large number of parties and technical arguments on the interpretation of VAT legislation. It is possible that this may go to the Supreme Court.
- Barclays – advised on the sale of its African banking interests to Absa Group Limited and the issue of shares by Absa to Barclays. This involved structuring the transaction, co-ordinating relevant advice and negotiating sale documentation.
- Brookfield – assisted with its acquisition of part of the BGE Group, involving both negotiating the sale documentation and structuring.
- AXA – advised on its disposal of the AXA UK Life business, involving both the sale and various related complex re-organisations.
- Iberia – advised on its merger with British Airways and helped to devise a structure that worked for UK and Spanish purposes.
April 01, 2019
April 26, 2018
Norton Rose Fulbright advises Trinity Mirror on its acquisition of Northern & Shell’s publishing assets
March 22, 2018
Publication | October 15, 2019
Event | November 14, 2019
Publication | August 05, 2019
Publication | March 05, 2019