Norton Rose Fulbright South Africa Inc
Related services and key industries
Jackie heads up the banking and finance team and is based in the Johannesburg office
Jackie has a wealth of experience in advising clients in relation to project finance, development finance, structured finance, asset finance, acquisition finance and general banking and commercial transactions, both domestically and emerging markets in Africa. Jackie focuses on financial institutions and the energy, telecoms and mining sectors.
Before joining practice in 2004, Jackie spent 9 years as the Head of Specialised Finance Legal at Absa Bank Limited (acting through its Corporate and Investment Bank).
Jackie is recognised and consistently listed as a leading lawyer for her banking and finance, mining and projects, infrastructure and energy expertise in Chambers Global, IFLR 1000, and Legal500. She is recommended for her work in structured finance and project finance and has been described as "hands-on and full of energy and perseverance" and "intellectually rigorous, extremely thorough and really understands the needs of the banks".
She has been referred to by Chambers Global 2019 as "excellent" and is considered to be "very active" in energy sector initiatives. Jackie was recognised and listed in the top tier for banking and finance by Chambers Global, 2018 which states that "Jackie Midlane receives high praise from clients, who appreciate the dedication with which she represents their interests". Some of the glowing comments include "outcome-oriented, with informed yet practical suggestion and solutions", as well as "exceptional knowledge and skill of corporate finance and especially project finance, encompassing excellent negotiation skills".
Jackie is actively involved in the management of the South African practice and is a member of its management committee and is a member of the Loan Market Association working group in South Africa.
Jackie's clients include Absa, Abengoa, Cobra, DBSA, DEG, Enel, Emerging Africa Investment Fund, ExxonMobil, FMO, Harith, IDC, IFC, Investec, Momentum, Nedbank, RMB, Standard Bank and Total.
- B.Com (Wits), LLB (Wits)
- H.Dip Co law (Wits)
- H.Dip Tax law (Wits)
- Attorney, qualified in South Africa
- Akuo Kita Solar - Advised The Emerging Africa Infrastructure Fund Limited (acting through its agent and investment manager Investec Asset Management Proprietary Limited), Nederlandse Financierings-Maatschappij Voor Ontwikkelingslanden N.V., and other international financiers in relation to the financing of a 50.2MW solar photovoltaic plant in Sikasso, Mali.
- Banks - Advising Lenders on debt restructuring of finance facilities made available to South African Airways SOC Limited.
- DBSA – currently advising the Development Bank of Southern Africa in finance facilities to be made available to EDM in Mozambique for its emergency network rehabilitation programme.
- Enel Green Power – Advised Enel on the multi-tranche financing facilities for a portfolio of five wind projects in South Africa under round 4 of the REIPPP .Programme. The portfolio totals approximately 700 MW of capacity at an estimated value of approximately €950m.
- Harith – currently advising sponsors in its equity investment in two projects awarded lots under the Kenyan roads programme
- IFC - Advising IFC on enforcement rights in respect of defauting listed entity in Malta and South Africa.
- Ilangalethu CSP1 - Advised sponsors, including Groupo Cobra South Africa Proprietary Limited, Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa Limited and Emvelo Holdings Proprietary Limited in respect of a 100MW concentrated solar power facility in the Northern Cape Province in South Africa.
- Protan Energy – advised sponsor group on a development finance facility being made available by the DBSA for project preparation for the development and construction of a 150MW combined cycle gas power plant in Sapele, Nigeria.
- Renewable Energy - Experience in the South African Renewable Energy Independent Power Producer Procurement Programme (SA REIPPPP) advising lenders and sponsors. Advised on CSP, Wind and solar projects in Round 1, Round 2, Round 3, Round 3,5 Round 4 and Round 4.5.
- SA Banks/TBI/Momentum – currently advising Momentum, TBI and Banks in the providing of preference share facilities for the refinancing of an equity shareholding in a renewable project in the secondary market.
- Sefateng Chrome Mine – currently advising the Borrower and its shareholders in the development, construction and finance of a greenfield underground chrome mine in South Africa.
- Sibanye Gold Limited - advised in relation to a corporate power purchase agreement and related regulatory matters.
- Total Mulilo Prieska PV - Advised Total in relation to the structuring of the 75MW solar PV project in Prieska, as well as the debt and equity financing of the development, construction and operation of the project.
March 29, 2019
Norton Rose Fulbright advises Enel Green Power on 3.5bn South African Rand financing for five wind farms
August 05, 2018
June 15, 2018