Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Dr Alexander Cappel is a white-collar crime and compliance lawyer based in Frankfurt/Main.
Alexander advises both national and international companies on all issues concerning white-collar crime and investigations, administrative and legal proceedings, as well as compliance and anti-fraud measures. A primary focus of Alexander's work is advising on German and international regulations in the areas of export control and financial sanctions, anti-corruption, and money laundering prevention.
Alexander has advised and defended numerous banks and industrial companies with regard to investigations and other requests for information by German authorities, including inter alia various public prosecution departments, the German Federal Financial Supervisory Authority (BaFin), and main customs offices. Furthermore, he has a wide-range of experience in advising on investigations conducted by foreign bodies such as US authorities, including inter alia the US Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and the Department of Justice (DoJ). Alexander has successfully represented a large number of banks and industrial companies in this regard.
Alexander has a wealth of experience in the organization and handling of internal investigations. He has advised on various large internal investigations, the subject of which were, in particular, allegations of German and foreign investigation authorities stating that companies and their employees had breached anti-corruption policies and/or financial sanctions. Alexander does not only advise the respective companies as part of internal investigations, but also regularly represents managing directors and employees as witness counsel.
Moreover, Alexander advised on numerous M&A transactions concerning compliance issues as well as the subsequent implementation of compliance management systems.
Prior to joining us in 2018, Alexander worked with an international law firm in Frankfurt/Main, focusing on the areas of white-collar crime and regulatory and compliance.
Alexander regularly publishes in law journals and also the business press and gives lectures on various compliance issues. He is a visiting lecturer at different institutions of higher education (inter alia Université du Luxembourg, Frankfurt School of Management and Finance). He is also head of the working group export control at the German Institute for Compliance e.V. (DICO).
Alexander has been ranked by the leading business magazine WirtschaftsWoche as a "Top Lawyer" for Compliance in Germany in 2020 and 2021.
Alexander is fluent in both German and English.
Alexander studied at the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University in Frankfurt/Main and took his doctoral degree at the Université du Luxembourg in the field of German and European white-collar crime.
- a multinational technology company on an internal investigation regarding allegations of tax fraud and negotiations with German tax authorities
- multinational aviation company in connection with enforcement proceedings by the German Federal Police regarding alleged violations against passenger data laws
- a major German bank in connection with investigations by the US authorities regarding alleged offences relating to US sanctions against Iran
- a multinational aerospace and defence corporation on an internal investigation regarding allegations of bribery
- a major German industrial company in connections with investigations of a US monitor regarding allegations of bribery in Italy
- a major German industrial company in connection with a compliance risk assessment regarding anti-money laundering
- a major German industrial company on potential risks regarding anti-money laundering laws in connection with the acquisition of a wind-farm
- various major German banks and industrial company in relation to EU and US sanctions and export controls
- various banks and industrial companies on due diligence checks of business partners
- Avarious banks and industrial companies regarding export controls and financial sanctions (in particular with regard to Iran, Syria and Russia)
- various banks and industrial companies in connection with German and EU anti-boycott regulations
- various banks and industrial companies regarding compliance with anti-money laundering laws
- various banks and industrial companies in connection with compliance risk assessments
- various banks and industrial companies in connection with investigations by the German customs and prosecution authorities regarding alleged violations of sanctions and export control provisions
- a Chinese healthcare company in connection with its stock-exchange listing and a related compliance risk assessment in this regard, with a particular focus on sanctions compliance
- a major German industrial company (OCM) in connection with a compliance risk assessment regarding anti-money laundering.
- Alexander has been ranked in the category "Best Compliance Lawyers" in Germany 2020 by the leading business magazine WirtschaftsWoche.
Publication | June 11, 2021
Webinar | June 10, 2021
Webinar | June 24, 2021
Publication | March 02, 2021