Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Brad Hayden is a senior business lawyer. He has an extensive background in leadership, management, strategic and operational planning, organizational transformation and change management, client relationship management, business operations, governance and communication.
Brad practises business law, with a focus on the energy and transportation industries. He works with businesses involved in mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and financings, domestic and cross-border reorganizations, corporate, partnership and joint venture arrangements, and complex commercial transactions. He has led and managed large teams of lawyers serving significant national and international transportation and energy service companies across multiple practice areas. In 1998 and 1999, he was seconded to Canadian Pacific Railway where he served in the Corporate Secretary Office, and he advised that company on project and commercial railway matters for many years. He continues to practice in the area of railway law, including regulatory and development matters, network transactions and transportation contracts.
Brad has served in leadership positions and management roles for many years. He was the managing partner of the Calgary office from January 2015 until early 2020, and prior to that the chair of the business law practice group in Calgary. He served on our national management committee in 2012, 2013 and from 2015 to early 2020, and during that time he led the Canadian implementation of the firm's SAP global practice management system, and the restructuring of the firm's Latin America businesses in Venezuela and Colombia. He served on the executive committee of Macleod Dixon (one of our predecessor firms in Canada) from 2007 to 2011 prior to its combination with Norton Rose Fulbright Canada, and he was a member of the core team that negotiated the business combination. He served in a management support role involving the firm's Kazakhstan office from 2003 to 2006, and in 1994 and 1995 he had a practice role in the firm's Moscow office where he lived part time.
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
LL.B., University of Calgary, 1990
Canadian Securities Course, 1989
B.A., Western University, 1987
- Alberta 1991
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales 2008
Mr. Hayden has acted for the following clients:
- A Canadian intermediate heavy oil company on the development of a crude by rail transloading facility and associated real estate and regulatory issues coupled with its long-haul transportation contracts with North American Class 1 rail carriers
- Canadian petro-chemical and oil producers on their master railcar leasing and sub-leasing matters and related fleet management, logistics and railcar storage matters
- Halliburton, a multinational diversified oil field services company, in its acquisition of Europump Systems Inc., a progressive cavity pump systems and artificial lift equipment company, from its management and private ownership group
- Kenan Advantage Group, the largest liquid bulk transportation services provider to the North American fuels, chemicals and merchant gas end markets, in its acquisition of the RTL-Westcan Group, a leading hauler of dry and liquid bulk commodities in Western and Northern Canada, from its management and private equity ownership group, including the sale and leaseback of substantially all of the RTL-Westcan operating facilities to a publicly listed real estate investment trust
- Canadian Pacific Railway, a multinational railway company, in its transactions with BHP-Billiton, to provide rail services to the Jansen potash mine and production facility in Saskatchewan, including land acquisition, rail infrastructure construction, transportation service and project development matters
- Canadian Pacific Railway, in its transactions with K+S Potash Canada, to provide rail service to the Legacy potash mine and production facility in Saskatchewan, including land acquisition, rail infrastructure construction, transportation service and project development matters
- Canadian Pacific Railway, in its transactions with provincial and municipal governments, to sell and redevelop the downtown rail yards in Regina, Saskatchewan
- Halliburton, in its acquisition of Ultraline Services Corporation, a cased hole wireline services company, from Savanna Energy Services Corp.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
- Calgary Bar Association
- Calgary Food Bank, board member
- Children's Cottage Society of Calgary, board member