Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Rachel Rosenfeld is a senior associate in the Washington, DC office and is a member of the project finance practice. Rachel represents multilateral agencies, commercial bank lenders and project developers in international and domestic project financings and equity transactions, with an emphasis on renewable and clean energy.
JD, with distinction, Global law scholar, Pro bono pledge honoree, Georgetown University Law Center, 2014
BA, cum laude, Claremont McKenna College, 2008
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York State Bar
International Project Finance and Corporate
- Represented the International Finance Corporation with respect to the financing of data centers in Brazil and Mexico.
- Represented the International Finance Corporation with respect to the financing of an electric bus fleet in Colombia.
- Represented a development finance institution and commercial banks with respect to a 150 MW solar PV power plant in Chile.
- Represented a multilateral lender in the $300 million financing of data centers and related assets in South Africa.
- Represented various groups of multilateral lenders and commercial banks as they navigate multiple distressed solar projects in Chile.
- Represented multilateral lenders and charitable funds in a $47.5 million private note placement to fund a COVID-19 relief fund that will in turn provide low-interest loans to qualifying companies in Africa and Asia that have suffered liquidity issues during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Represented the Overseas Private Investment Corporation, Banco Centroamericano de Integración Económica, Nederlandse Financierings-Maatschappij Voor Ontwikkelingslanden N.V. and Finnish Fund for Industrial Cooperation Ltd. on the financing of ten 10 MW solar PV power plants and related assets located in various provinces of the Republic of El Salvador.
- Represented the Overseas Private Investment Corporation, the Inter-American Development Bank, Corpbanca and other lenders with respect to the approximately 72.8 MW Maria Elena solar project in Chile.
- Represented the International Finance Corporation, Banco Centroamericano de Integración Económica, Bancolombia, Banco General and other lenders on the financing of the US$1 billion Colón LNG to Power Project in Panama, sponsored by The AES Corporation and Inversiones Bahía. The project is the largest combined-cycle power project (350 MW) and the first LNG import Terminal to be built in Panama.
- Represented the International Finance Corporation, Banco Centroamericano de Integración Económica and OPEC Fund for International Development on post-closing matters with respect to the approximately US$150 million of senior secured loan facilities for a portfolio of utility-scale solar projects in Honduras and the sale of the solar projects to a new sponsor.
- Represented IDB Invest, IFC, OPIC, KfW- IPEX and Finnvera on the financing of the estimated US$850 million Energía del Pacífico gas-fired power plant and LNG import terminal project in Acajutla, El Salvador – the biggest energy infrastructure investment in El Salvador's history. LatinFinance awarded this project Infrastructure Financing of the Year: Central America (2019).
- Represented Nederlandse Financierings-Maatschappij Voor Ontwikkelingslanden N.V. with respect to a term loan facility to an Argentine entity.
- Represented the International Finance Corporation with respect to a $225 million loan to Banco Santander.
- Represented the International Finance Corporation with respect to the financing of sugar cane planting operations and related social programs in Brazil.
- Represented the International Finance Corporation, European Investment Bank and OPEC Fund for International Development on post-closing matters with respect to the 177 MW wind farm in Jordan, the first independent renewable energy project in Jordan and Project Finance Magazine's "Middle Eastern Renewables Deal of the Year 2013."
- Represented the Overseas Private Investment Corporation in connection with a US$47 million direct loan to support a 20 MW grid-connected solar photovoltaic facility in Clarendon, Jamaica.
- Represented the Overseas Private Investment Corporation and the International Finance Corporation with respect to the BMR Jamaica Wind Project, a 36.3 MW wind farm in Jamaica.
- Represented the Overseas Private Investment Corporation in connection with a US$125 million direct loan to ACLEDA Bank Plc., a commercial bank in Cambodia, to support all sectors through micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs).
- Represented the Inter-American Development Bank with respect to the credit guarantees for the Costanera Norte Toll Road Project and the Rutas del Pacífico Toll Road Project in Chile.
Domestic Project Finance and Corporate
- Represented the US EPA in connection with a WIFIA loan to finance the Nelson Wastewater Treatment Plant Improvements project in Kansas.
- Represented a developer and investor of energy infrastructure projects across the United States with respect to various development loans for renewable energy projects.
- Represented a commercial bank lender in financing a warehouse solar portfolio consisting of projects across the United States.
- Represented a commercial bank lender in financing various gas-fired electric power generation facilities in Texas.
- Represented tax equity investor in an inverted lease financing at a solar facility in North Carolina.
- Represented sponsor in partnership flip financing at solar facilities in Georgia and Florida.
- Represented Ormat Technologies, Inc., an international geothermal energy developer, in connection with equity financing and general corporate matters. A recent transaction is the sale of membership interests in ORPD LLC, a limited liability company that owns five Ormat geothermal power and recovered energy projects throughout the United States, to an affiliate of Northleaf Capital Partners, a Canadian investment firm.
- Represented the US Department of Energy in connection with guaranteed loans to the Municipal Electric Authority of Georgia for the financing of the 2,214 MW Vogtle nuclear power project in Georgia.
- Represented the lender on the financing of a 20 MW grid-connected, ground-mounted solar photovoltaic generating facility in Georgia.
- Represented a consortium of lenders on the financing of the 674 MW combined-cycle Salem Harbor Power Station in Salem, Massachusetts.
- Represented a nonprofit engaged in preserving and documenting the work of traditional embroiderers and tapestry makers in Chile.
- Represented a nonprofit corporation engaged in protecting and assisting underage survivors of sex trafficking regarding a variety of matters, including corporate organization and governance and commercial agreements.
- Represented a nonprofit with respect to structuring grants to a targeted region in Guatemala and loans in Haiti and El Salvador.
- Represented a client in connection with the preparation of a Violence Against Women Act self-petition for a client and related immigration filings.
- Pro Bono All Star, Norton Rose Fulbright, 2019
- Jaworski Award for Pro Bono Excellence, 2018
- Co-author, "Data center sustainability: Beyond PPAs," Project Finance NewsWire, June 15, 2021
- Co-author, "Powering data centers," Project Finance NewsWire, October 9, 2020
- Co-author, "Financing subsea cables in Latin America," Project Finance NewsWire, June 16, 2020
- Co-author, "DFC replaces OPIC," Project Finance NewsWire, February 10, 2020
- Co-author, "Colombia: Opportunities and challenges," Project Finance NewsWire, February 10, 2020
- Co-author, "Development banks: Immunity from lawsuits," Project Finance NewsWire, June 19, 2019
- Author, "Argentina Plans to Auction More PPAs," Project Finance NewsWire, April 6, 2017
- Author, "Off the Grid in Africa," Project Finance NewsWire, February 2017
- Co-author, "Powering Africa," Project Finance NewsWire, August 2013
- Author, "The European Union Aviation Directive and US Resistance: A Deadlock on Aviation Emissions Control," Georgetown International Environmental Law Review, 2013
- Associate Vice Chair, Norton Rose Fulbright Pride Network
- Associate Chair, DC Pro Bono Committee
- Editor-in-chief, Georgetown International Environmental Law Review
- Member, Appellate Advocacy team, competing in the Inter-American Sustainable Development Competition, held in Bogota, Colombia and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Certificate in International Business Practice, University of Cambridge, 2009