Norton Rose Fulbright Studio Legale
Related services and key industries
- Banking and finance
- Bankruptcy, financial restructuring and insolvency
Gennaro Mazzuoccolo is a banking lawyer based in Milan. His focus is project finance (energy and infrastructure) and shipping finance.
In projects, Gennaro has experience of advising on renewable energy (solar and wind) and export financing supported by SACE and other export credit agencies.
In the shipping sector, Gennaro has advised domestic and international banks and financial institutions on shipping and shipping finance matters, including fleet financing, vessel registration and shipping company acquisition.
Prior to joining us in 2008, Gennaro worked in Milan and London for major international legal practices. He also worked as an in-house lawyer for Italian bank Banca d’Intermediazione Mobiliare IMI S.p.A.
- Law (Hons) Università di Napoli, 1999.
- Avvocato, qualified in Italy 2002
- Ranked in two categories: (i) Banking and finance - Borrower side; and (ii) Banking and finance - Lender or Arranger side. About him: 'Gennaro Mazzuoccolo is a highly appreciated professional, who is very competent, quick and available.' Legal 500 EMEA, 2021
- Ranked in Shipping: finance (Italy). Clients speak at length about Gennaro Mazzuoccolo, confirming that he is 'reliable, available and always ready to reply to our requests.' He regularly assists banks with financing and debt reorganisation mandates in the shipping sector. Chambers Europe, 2021
- Ranked as 'Best Lawyer' in two categories: (i) Finance, and (ii) Transport Law. Milano Finanza Legal Awards, 2021
- in Banking and Finance. TopLegal Banking & Finance Guide, 2021
- Ranked in Finance and Restructuring. TopLegal Shipping and Transport Guide, 2021
- Shipping Lawyer of the Year. Legalcommunity Finance Awards, 2020
- Ranked in three categories: (i) Banking and finance - Borrower side; (ii) Banking and finance - Lender or Arranger side; and (iii) Real estate and construction. About him: 'a shipping and real estate finance expert''; 'frequently leads on shipping and real estate finance transactions'. Legal 500 EMEA, 2020
- Ranked in two categories: (i) Avvocati Best - Project; and (ii) Avvocati Selected - Finance. Milano Finanza Legal Award, 2020
- Ranked: Shipping, Italy. Practice head Gennaro Mazzuoccolo 'is a problem solver', enthuse impressed clients. Further sources highlight his 'great experience in the shipping finance area.' He advises international and domestic institutions on a broad range of financing mandates. Chambers Europe, 2020
- Shipping finance (Italy), Gennaro Mazzuoccolo is highlighted for his 'vast and in-depth knowledge of the Italian shipping market.' He leads the team and advises banks on the financing of acquisitions and on non-performing loan transactions. Chambers Europe, 2019
- Shipping lawyer of the year. Legalcommunity Finance Awards, 2019
- 'Key adviser' and 'key contact' in two categories: (i) Banking and finance - Borrower side; and (ii) Banking and finance - Lender or Arranger side. Legal 500 EMEA, 2018
- Band 1 – Shipping finance. Shipping finance expert Gennaro Mazzuoccolo regularly advises an impressive client roster on a selection of shipping finance and restructuring mandates. He recently assisted Mediocredito Italiano with the refinancing of a RO-PAX vessel. Sources describe him as an 'excellent lawyer.' Chambers Europe, 2018
- Key practitioner. Banking and finance. Legal 500 EMEA, 2017
- Recommended. Restructuring and insolvency. Legal 500 EMEA, 2017
- Band 1 in Shipping Finance. Gennaro Mazzuoccolo is a shipping finance expert, advising domestic and international clients on matters such as fleet financings, export credit-backed financing and shipping company acquisitions. One client states: 'He knows the field very well, as well as the commercial needs of his clients.' Chambers Europe, 2017
- Band 1 in Shipping finance. Shipping practice head Gennaro Mazzuoccolo advises a number of high-profile banks and financial institutions, both domestic and international. He is described as 'an expert' in this field. Chambers Europe, 2016
- Banking and finance. 'Gennaro Mazzuoccolo is highly rated,' Legal 500 EMEA, 2016
- Restructuring and insolvency. 'Gennaro Mazzuoccolo is a key figure.' Legal 500 EMEA, 2016
- Ranked. Shipping: "Market observers note that Gennaro Mazzuoccolo (Band 1) has a thorough knowledge of all shipping finance matters and the shipping sector in general." Chambers Europe, 2014
- Banking and finance: "Gennaro Mazzuoccolo is recommended", The Legal 500 EMEA, 2014
- Ranked in Shipping. 'Gennaro Mazzuoccolo wins plaudits for his shipping finance expertise. He recently advised Banca IMI on a EUR35 million loan facility to Premuda International,' Chambers Europe, 2013
- Recommended in Banking and finance. Legal 500 EMEA, 2013
- Ranked in Shipping. Shipping is an important focus for this global firm and the same is true of its Italian practice. Although not involved in regular shipping transactions, it is highly active in shipping finance matters and has sustained a healthy deal flow despite the challenging economic climate. The group recently advised the European Investment Bank on a €5.2bn transaction in assets under management, a €150m financing package provided to Grimaldi Compagnia di Navigazione for the acquisition of new vessels. Gennaro Mazzuoccolo is the main practice contact. Chambers Europe, 2012
- Ranked in Shipping. This shipping practice is incorporated into the firm's banking department and is dedicated to advising banks on shipping finance matters. Benefiting from an extensive international network, the team recently advised UniCredit on a €30m financing for tug boats. Clients praise the quality of the service received, commenting that the group 'is able to attend to all our needs. Partner Gennaro Mazzuoccolo is the main contact for shipping work.' Chambers Europe, 2011
Gennaro is co-author of numerous publications on banking and finance law, including the Italian chapter in the World Bank Doing Business Survey, 2009.
Gennaro is a regular speaker at conventions and seminars on project finance, energy law and shipping finance.
Webinar | April 29, 2020
Update | March 23, 2020
Thought leadership | August 22, 2018
Thought leadership | August 22, 2018