Related services and key industries
- Environmental, social and governance (ESG)
- Corporate governance
- Private equity and venture capital
- Funds and asset management
- Investment funds
Key industry sectors
Geoffroy is an international asset management and investment funds lawyer based in Luxembourg, with over 15 years' experience across Europe and the Middle East.
Geoffroy advises both from a GP and an LP perspective some of the world's leading financial institutions, private equity houses, sovereign wealth funds, Development Finance Institutions (DFI) and asset management firms on the structuring and formation of a wide range of Shari'ah-compliant and conventional investment funds, closed-ended (private funds) and open-ended (including public UCITS-type funds and hedge funds). His experience spans across a variety of sectors with a particular focus on private equity and VC, renewables, ESG, real estate, fixed income and equities and digital assets (crypto, blockchain, DeFi, tokens) and FinTech.
He has practical experience and in-depth knowledge in a variety of fund jurisdictions, including Luxembourg, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Saudi Arabia and the major offshore jurisdictions (such as Mauritius, Cayman Islands, Jersey). He also regularly advises on carried interest arrangements and on funds related disputes and restructurings.
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
- License en droit (masters in law) (cum laude), Université Saint Louis, Brussels, Belgium, 2002, Université Catholique de Louvain, Belgium, 2005 and Vienna University, Austria, 2005
- Master in Management and Administration (cum laude), Louvain School of Management, Belgium, 2006
- License en Islamologie et Langue Arabe (Arabic and Islamology) (magna cum laude), Université Catholique de Louvain, Belgium and Vienna University, Austria, 2009
- Admitted as an avocat au barreau de Bruxelles (Brussels bar, Belgium) 2007
- Chimera Capital - on the establishment of an onshore public ETF (umbrella fund) regulated by the UAE SCA and listed on ADX and DFM as well as an Irish UCITS ETF listed on ADX, investing in regional indexes.
- An Abu Dhabi (ADGM) based fund manager - on the establishment of an infrastructure fund with an intended size of US$650m to invest in renewable energy assets across Europe and the Middle East with as cornerstone investors a GCC based sovereign wealth fund [Mubadala] and a Middle Eastern Funds powerhouse.
- Mashreq Capital - on the establishment of the Mashreq Al Islami Equity Fund (MAIEF), a Shari'ah compliant sub-fund under the existing Mashreq Capital Shari'ah-Compliant Funds (OEIC) Limited umbrella DIFC Public Fund to invest in Shari'ah-compliant equities.
- Abu Dhabi-based asset manager - on the establishment of a real estate private debt fund domiciled in the Cayman Islands with targeted assets under management of US$250m.
- An Abu Dhabi-based Sovereign - on its investment as cornerstone investor in a private equity fund investing in tech related investments in the industrial and agricultural sectors in mainland China with a fund manager based in Hong Kong and AUM at first closing of over US$1bn.
- Emirates NBD Asset Management (DFSA regulated CAT 3C entity) - on the establishment of an open ended umbrella investment fund domiciled in the Cayman Islands to invest in liquid assets and securities in emerging markets (both listed and unlisted).
- One of Malaysia's state owned entities - on the structuring and investment (US$750m) in three Shariah compliant private equity funds (separate managed accounts) with three of the main global PE players.
Band 2, Investment funds, Chambers & Partners Global, 2023
- "Geoffroy provides clear thinking and top-notch execution on all our matters."
- "He has shown his deep understanding of the fund structuring industry and his vast knowledge of legal and regulatory requirements in different jurisdictions."
- "Geoffroy has a very broad knowledge of the UAE. He is also commercial and has experience of dealing with the digital asset space."
Band 3, Investment funds, Chambers & Partners Global, 2022
Next Generation Partner, Investment funds, The Legal 500 EMEA, 2020-2022
- "he [Geoffroy] thinks several steps ahead" and "is articulate and efficient."
Band 3, Investment funds, Chambers & Partners Middle East, 2021
Up and coming individual, Chambers & Partners Global, 2020
Recommended lawyer, Investment funds, The Legal 500 EMEA, 2020
Next Generation Lawyer, The Legal 500 EMEA, 2019
LPEA (Luxembourg Private Equity & Venture Capital Association)
'Advisor in Economic Diplomacy' to the Embassy of Belgium in Abu Dhabi, appointed by Royal Decree on March 24, 2021 (as published in the official gazette).
The 2023 ELTIF Regulation
Publication | April 26, 2023
Upgrade and modernization of the Luxembourg fund product and manager laws
Publication | April 03, 2023
The ELTIF 2.0 Regulation was published on 20 March 2023
Publication | March 23, 2023