Related services and key industries
Dr. Klaus Bader is a corporate lawyer based in Munich and Head of our European energy practice.
He has in-depth experience in domestic and cross-border M&A and private equity transactions, joint ventures and corporate reorganizations with a strong focus on the energy, infrastructure and technology sector. He works predominantly for infrastructure and private equity funds and international corporates.
Klaus is recommended as a notable practitioner for corporate M&A and energy in all leading legal directories including Chambers, The Legal 500, JUVE, Best Lawyer and IFLR1000.
He was admitted to the German bar in 2000 and qualified as a German certified tax advisor (Steuerberater) in 2003. Klaus holds a doctoral degree in law (summa cum laude) and wrote his thesis on comparative German and Italian stock corporation law. He is the author of various publications on energy, corporate and tax matters.
Klaus is a member of the International Fiscal Association (IfA). He is a native speaker of both German and Italian and is fluent in English.
- Rechtsanwalt 2000
- Steuerberater 2003
M&A, joint ventures and reorganizations, advising:
- Swiss utility Energie 360° AG on the sale of BHKW Holding to Innio, a portfolio company of Advent International.
- Shell Ventures on its indirect investment in Instafreight GmbH, a German digital freight forwarding company for business customers.
- The shareholders of Sendmoments GmbH on a disposal and partial co-investment to Arcus Capital and BE Beteiligungen Fonds.
- A consortium of insurance companies on the envisaged acquisition of a minority participation (49%) in a major German water supplier with a big German utility as co-shareholder.
- Swiss utility Energie 360° AG on the indirect acquisition of project developer and service provider Thomsen & Co. GmbH and service provider EPS Rental, both active in the CHP sector.
- A Chinese consortium led by China Renaissance Capital Investment, Inc. and Zhengzhou Coal Mining Machinery Group Co., Ltd. on the acquisition of the global starter and generator business of Robert Bosch GmbH.
- Chinese state-owned enterprise Unifull on an international joint venture for the co-development of fuel cell powertrain technology.
- Vermillion Energy on the acquisition of an interest in four producing natural gas fields and a surrounding exploration licence in Germany from GDF SUEZ E&P Deutschland.
- Perusa Partners Fund I LP on the reorganization and disposal of Dynasafe;
- Perusa Partners Fund II on the acquisition and reorganization of Schuberth Helme and the add-on acquisition of Teca25.
- The photovoltaic division of CHINT Group on the acquisition of Conergy's PV module production site in Frankfurt Oder and on the establishment of a long-term joint venture with Conergy.
- Water treatment company Aweco Appliance Systems on the sale of its business to Zhejiang Sanhua.
- Matica Group on the cross-border reorganization of its German and Italian businesses, listed on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange.
- The Luxembourg based utility Enovos International on the establishment of an international joint venture in the PV sector, with a focus on Europe.
- Banco Bilbao on its Series B investment in the mobile payment service provider SumUp, and on subsequent financing rounds.
Energy Storage, e-mobility and energy venture capital, advising:
- Mitsui on its joint venture with Renault, The Mobility House and Demeter for German battery storage projects.
- Enel X on its investment in e-mobility platform Hubject.
- Smart Energy Innovationsfonds (SEIF) on its Series A investment in Voltstorage and subsequent financing rounds.
- Energie 360°AG on its Series A investment in Electrochaea and subsequent financing rounds.
Renewables projects (wind onshore/offshore, PV, geothermal), advising:
- SDIC Power on the acquisition of a 300 MW offshore wind project, Nordsee One, Nordsee Two and Nordsee Three in Germany.
- GE Capital on its equity investment in the 400 MW offshore wind farm project Merkur, and subsequent negotiations with further equity sponsors, winning European Renewables Deal of the Year 2016 (Project Finance International).
- SUSI Partners on the disposal of an international renewables portfolio, with assets in German, Italy, France, Belgium and Finland.
- Hansainvest, the asset manager of insurance group Signal Iduna, on the acquisition of a 100 MW onshore wind portfolio from wpd.
- Brookfield on the acquisition of an onshore wind project developer (including an asset portfolio of 200 MW and a project pipeline of around 2 GW in Germany and France) in the context of an auction process.
- Swiss utility Swisspower Renewables on the acquisition and refinancing of a German operating onshore wind portfolio of 150 MWp from Acciona Energia, including the acquisition of the asset management company.
- MEAG on the acquisition of two onshore wind park portfolios with a total capacity of 120 MW from wpd.
- Berenberg Bank on the mezzanine financing of PV projects in Japan.
- Allianz Global Investors on the acquisition of two PV parks in Northern Italy.
- Blackrock on the acquisition of a majority shareholding in seven photovoltaic project companies in France.
- Eavor Loop on the acquisition and subsequent development of a geothermal project in Geretsried.
- Finnish infrastructure fund Taaleri on a joint venture and co-development with Erdwärme Bayern GmbH for the development and construction of a geothermal project in the Bavarian Molasse Basin.
- STRABAG and RAG on the acquisition of a geothermal project Garching an der Alz from Bluecrest International.
Best Lawyers 2020: Corporate Law and Tax Law.
IFLR1000, 2020: Notable practitioner; practice areas: M&A, Private Equity; industry sector: energy.
Juve 2019/2020: "Frequently recommended: M&A, regulated industries: energy".
The Legal 500 Germany 2020, energy sector: "Norton Rose Fulbright stands out from other market participants for its strong geothermal practice, the specialization on energy storage and growing activity in Africa and other emerging markets. The mostly Munich based team is part of the firm's international energy practice and regularly works together with the other European offices on cross-border matters. The team is led by Klaus Bader and advises both established utilities and start-ups, often in matters related to digitalisation."
Chambers Europe 2019: Notable practitioner Corporate M&A: Mid-Market.
Chambers Global 2019, Corporate M&A: "Frequently advises international companies on acquisitions involving Germany. Klaus Bader is a key contact for international transactions, particularly involving Italy or China."
The Legal 500 Germany 2019, Industry Focus: Energy: "Norton Rose Fulbright's energy practice, led by Klaus Bader, focuses on providing regulatory and corporate law advice for energy projects and has experience in the areas of battery and pump storage as well as geothermal projects."
- Ausschreibungen für onshore Wind nach dem EEG 2017 – strategische Handlungs- und Finanzierungsoptionen (Auctions for onshore wind under the EEG 2017 – strategic options for action and financing), eine Studie von Norton Rose Fulbright, Berenberg, BayernLB und Hypoport, Mai 2017
- Opportunities in German Geothermal energy, InfraNews, 16. Februar 2017
- Wer finanziert die deutsche Energiewende? – Investitionskriterien und Profile einzelner Investorengruppen (Who pays for the German Energiewende? – Investment criteria and profiles of various groups of investors); Finanzierung Erneuerbarer Energien, Hrsg. Markus Gerhard, Thomas Rüschen, Armin Sandhövel, Frankfurt School Verlag, S. 861 ff.
- Die deutsche Energiewende – Chancen und Herausforderungen für Investoren (The German Energiewende – opportunities and challenges for investors), gemeinsame Studie von Norton Rose und Deloitte, April 2013