The strength of our financial restructuring and insolvency practice lies in our multidisciplinary and international breadth. Based throughout Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia, our financial restructuring and insolvency lawyers handle the most complex assignments worldwide.
“Philippe Hameau has significant experience of commercial and banking litigation and an in-depth knowledge of proceedings before commercial and civil courts. He is active in the finance and energy sectors.” Chambers and Partners 2016
Our Paris financial restructuring and insolvency team is experienced in banking and commercial litigation, advising both domestic and international companies on crisis management, restructuring and insolvency matters.
Our lawyers also assist creditors and shareholders of distressed companies and have substantial experience in distressed acquisition work.
We have considerable practical experience in dealing with the problems that arise when companies face financial difficulties in each of our key industry sectors: financial institutions; energy; infrastructure, mining and commodities; transport; technology and innovation; and life sciences and healthcare.
We are also able to call on the experience of our teams in the fields of banking and finance; corporate, M&A and securities; employment and labour; real estate; and tax.
- Extensive experience in pre-insolvency situations
- A solid practice in all kind of insolvency proceedings
- A first class bankruptcy litigation related practice
Our areas of work include
- Advice to distressed companies, shareholders or creditors on the implementation of amicable proceedings such as “mandat ad hoc” and conciliation (mediation processes under the supervision of the court), including negotiation of financial restructuring agreements;
Sauvegarde and insolvency proceedings
Advice to distressed companies or their creditors on the implementation of judicial safeguard proceedings (“sauvegarde”, patterned on US Chapter 11 type proceedings) or insolvency proceedings (judicial rehabilitation (redressement judiciaire) and judicial liquidation (liquidation judiciaire)), including:
- Assistance to distressed companies in formulating and implementing recovery plans (including labor and tax aspects);
- Assistance to creditors, individually or sitting on creditors' committees, in the preparation of claim statements and in the negotiation and the preparation of pre-insolvency or recovery plans presented to the Court;
Acquisition of distressed businesses
- Advice to bidders with respect to conducting due diligence, preparing the purchase offer to be presented to the Court and assisting the bidders at the Court hearing;
- Assistance and representation of clients (including corporate directors and officers), before the relevant courts in actions alleging their liability for debts of an insolvent entity based on de jure or “shadow director” liability principles (action en comblement de passif).