Businesses today face an increasingly complex framework of established and evolving legislation and civil, criminal and regulatory risk. Increasing regulation and enforcement activities by both global and local regulators have created a new dynamic where regulatory violations in one jurisdiction can swiftly lead to investigations being commenced in multiple jurisdictions. Our global regulation and investigations practice was established to assist our clients as they navigate the evolving global and cross-border regulatory, compliance and government enforcement environment.
Our dedicated Singapore Regulation & Investigations team is recognised for its specialist knowledge on business ethics and anti-corruption matters, and has significant experience on financial services as well as workplace safety and health regulation and investigations. We offer our clients a deep understanding, both globally and locally, of legal, procedural, governance and reputational aspects of regulatory and compliance issues, investigations and litigation/arbitration.
Working closely with our regulations and investigations colleagues throughout Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa and the Middle East, our Singapore team provides ‘connectivity’ across jurisdictions, across industry sectors and across regulatory fronts, helping clients navigate overlapping legal regimes and enforcement authorities.
The eDisclosure requirements in investigative and regulatory actions can be more complex and time sensitive than in other legal matters. Our global practice support team provides clients with a consistent and proven methodology for complying with document preservation and production requirements throughout the course of the case. Through the application of cutting edge technology hosted in data centres across the globe, lawyers are able to identify key documents and facts early in the investigation to assist in developing case strategies and priorities, with the further benefit of managing and reducing costs.
We combine wide-ranging experience and knowledge of best practice with a strategic focus on industry, particularly the key sectors of financial institutions; energy; infrastructure, mining and commodities; transport; technology and innovation; and life sciences and healthcare.
Our areas of work include
- Antitrust and competition
- Business ethics and anti-corruption
- Commodities and derivatives
- Data privacy
- Electronic discovery
- Financial Services regulation
- Government investigations and enforcement
- Health and safety
- Internal investigations
- International trade, sanctions and export controls
- Securities fraud
- White collar crime
Our recent work
- Advising various Asian airlines on their anti-corruption compliance policies, drafting contractual provisions in service contracts and conducting compliance training for senior personnel.
- Advising an Asian conglomerate in Malaysia on their anti-bribery compliance programme, revising policies and procedures and conducting training for directors and senior management.
- Advising a global engineering group on the design and implementation of its compliance programme in China, including interviewing the sales force, reviewing gifts and entertainment policies and processes, reviewing relationships with third parties, and carrying out investigations into whistleblower claims related to corruption.
- Advising a listed Australian resources company in relation to anti-bribery and corruption issues and the adoption of an anti-bribery and corruption policy, as well as compliance training.
- Advising an Asian multinational oil and gas company on its general compliance framework, including areas of enhancement and setting out a workplan for implementing enhancements.
Suggested compliance areas include anti-corruption, competition law compliance.
- Advising a large international shipping company on the implementation of its anti-corruption programme across its global operations.
- Advising an Australian multinational bank in relation to the bank’s anti-bribery and corruption procedures in various Asian jurisdictions
- Advising a Big 3 Singapore bank with global operations in its anti-bribery risk assessment process for 19 jurisdictions and aspects of its overall compliance programme.
- Advising a multinational listed company in an internal fraud investigations into its commodities operations in Asia, including advising on disciplinary proceedings against its employees as well as reporting obligations and its dealings with regulatory authorities across a number of jurisdictions in Europe and Asia.
- Investigating allegations of bribery in relation to an international arbitration involving a multinational company’s operation in an Asian country, including working with private investigators, forensic computer experts and accountants to uncover evidence of fraud and corrupt payments.
- Advising a European oil and gas company in negotiations with its proposed joint venture partner in an Indonesian deal and dealing with red flags arising from allegations of corruption made against the partner.
- Conducting a compliance review for an oil and gas company based in Indonesia in the context of potential injection of funds from a private equity investor based in Hong Kong.