“The group’s ‘efficiency and attention to detail’ are described by a source as ‘extremely impressive."
Chambers Global, 2017
Our South African banking and finance team maintains a leading reputation within the market for local, pan-African and global advice on the most complex and innovative financial transactions. Our team of financial institutions lawyers provides an unrivalled service across the entire African continent, playing a role in the region’s most high-profile banking law transactions.
We offer broad experience to a range of clients with our knowledge of key industry sectors: financial institutions; energy; infrastructure, mining and commodities; transport; technology and innovation; and life sciences and healthcare. With strong finance capabilities in Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa and the Middle East, our team of South African banking lawyers are supported by our lawyers around the world and are sought after for both cross-border and domestic work.
Our areas of work include
- acquisition finance
- aircraft finance
- asset finance
- banking regulation
- credit law
- cross-border finance
- debt capital markets
- debt factoring
- derivatives and OTC trading
- export credit finance
- exchange control
- financial services
- high-yield debt
- Islamic finance
- lending and syndicated lending
- leveraged finance
- mining and resource finance
- preference shares
- project finance, infrastructure finance and public private partnerships
- property finance
- restructuring and insolvency
- structured finance
- structured products
- trade and commodity finance.
Our recent work
- Advising Nedbank Limited on the ZAR3.8bn financing of the corporotisation of the Scaw Metals division of Anglo American.
- Advising Johannesburg Metropolitan Municipality on amendment and restatement of their ZAR13bn Domestic Medium Term Note Programme.
- Advising Rand Merchant Bank on the ZAR1.3bn financing of the acquisition of Global Forest Products (Pty) Ltd by York Timbers.
- Advising The Standard Bank of South Africa Limited on the ZAR3bn capital raising and capital and debt restructuring of Metorex Limited.
- Advising Clindeb Investments (Proprietary) Limited on the issue of ZAR400m Senior Unsecured Zero Coupon Notes.
- Advising Savcio Holdings (Proprietary) Limited on the establishment of its Savcio Holdings (Proprietary) Limited ZAR2bn Domestic Medium Term Note Programme.
- Representing the lenders in relation to the financing of the Lesotho Highlands Water Project.
- Representing the lenders to two major toll road projects.
- Representing the lenders in the first major build-operate-transfer project finance transactions in South Africa.
- Representing the lenders in one of the first prison projections in South Africa.
- Representing the consortium and lenders in the first hospital project in South Africa.
- Advising in regard to several toll road projects, an accommodation project, and the Gautrain rapid rail link project.
Awards and accolades
Project finance: Tier 1, IFLR, 2019
Legal 500 EMEA, South Africa: Banking & Finance (Tier 1), The Legal 500, 2018
Chambers Global, Africa-wide: Banking & Finance (Band 1), Chambers & Partners, 2017
Chambers Global, South Africa: Banking & Finance, Chambers & Partners, 2017
Legal 500 EMEA, South Africa: Banking & Finance (Tier 1), The Legal 500, 2017
IFLR 1000, South Africa: Banking, Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC, 2018