Norton Rose Fulbright South Africa Inc
Related services and key industries
Daniel is a director in the dispute resolution and litigation team based in Cape Town.
Daniel specialises in insurance litigation and advice, marine and non-marine transport disputes, and commercial litigation.
Daniel has represented and provided advice to both local and international clients and has acted in a number of large High Court actions involving industrial fires, wildfires, property insurance, subrogated recoveries, professional liability, broker liability, product liability and product contamination insurance. In addition, he acts and provides advice for a variety of insurers in marine and land transport disputes.
He joined the practice as a candidate attorney in 2010, was admitted as an attorney in 2012 and appointed as a director in 2017.
He served as the honorary treasurer and council member of the Insurance Institute of the Western Cape from 2015 to 2018.
- Bachelor of Economics, awarded with distinction and academic honours - Rhodes University;
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB), awarded with distinction and academic honours - Rhodes University.
- Attorney, qualified in South Africa 2012
- Acting for insurers in bringing approximately ZAR500 million subrogated recovery action against various parties in respect of property damage arising out of fatal industrial fire.
- Appointed by liability insurers to defend liability claims on behalf of various engineering and architectural firms in the Western Cape.
- Resolved litigation against former financial manager of agribusiness entity on instructions of management liability insurer.
- Appointed by liability insurers to defend liability claims on behalf of various insurance intermediaries in the Western Cape.
- Appointed by liability insurers in respect of major wildfires in the Western Cape, South Africa, of June 2017.
- Acting for insurers in defending product liability action arising out of major fire in automotive factory.
- Acting for London reinsurance market in relation to subrogated recoveries in claims related to damage to offshore drilling equipment.
- Advised insurers on a number of product contamination claims in food and beverage industry.
- Part of team representing Singapore based tug owners in defence of approximately EUR40 million claim brought by Dutch plaintiffs arising out of major maritime casualty off the West Coast of South Africa
- Serves on the Council of the Insurance Institute of the Cape of Good Hope in the position of Honorary Treasurer and Council Member from 2015 to 2018.
- Member of the Maritime Law Association of South Africa