Partner, Canadian National Chair, Intellectual Property
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Jung-Kay Chiu is an intellectual property lawyer based in Toronto and the Canadian national chair of our intellectual property group. He has over 20 years of experience practising in all areas of intellectual property law, with a focus on intellectual property acquisition, protection and exploitation in the field of biotechnology and medical devices. He has particularly deep experience in drug delivery, stem cells, precision medicine, diagnostic biomarkers and surgical equipment.
He has worked extensively in the life sciences innovation sector with many research institutions, large corporate innovators, clusters, startups and scaling bioscience companies, helping them formulate their innovation strategy, drive acceleration, and increase valuation. Jung-Kay manages multi-disciplinary teams to deliver holistic guidance to help his clients navigate the entire innovation life cycle, from IP strategy mapping and protection, to commercialization, regulatory approval and enforcement.
Jung-Kay joined our Toronto office in 2003 after practising corporate commercial law and intellectual property law with another major law firm in Canada. His technical experience includes conducting post-graduate research in molecular biology at the University of Toronto, and his technical background includes genetics, molecular biology, biotechnology and biochemistry.
Jung-Kay is a member of our firm's management committee and sits on the board of the Ontario Bioscience Innovation Organization.
LL.B., University of Toronto, 1999
B.Sc., University of Toronto, 1994
- Ontario 2001
- Canada (patents) 2004
- United States (patents) 2005
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Intellectual Property Law, 2018-2023
- The Legal 500 Canada: Intellectual Property (Leading Lawyer), 2023
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2020-2022: recommended in Life Sciences & Health
- IAM Patent 1000, Law Business Research Ltd., 2022
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Licensing Executives Society
- Toronto Biotechnology Initiative
- International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys
Publication | April 18, 2022
Publication | July 01, 2021
Webinar | November 05, 2020