Jose Luis Romo Trujano
Norton Rose Fulbright US MX, S.C.
Related services and key industries
José Luis Romo joined Norton Rose Fulbright's Mexico City office in 2019 and focuses his practice on energy transactions. José often negotiates and closes contracts related to exploration and extraction activities, including, area of mutual interest agreements, joint study and bidding agreements, joint operating agreements, joint venture agreements, unit operating agreements, service agreements, lease agreements, sale and purchase agreements, among others. Additionally, José has experience in the incorporation of companies, internal book keeping, mergers and acquisitions, sale of assets, other transactions involving control changes, and implementation of corporate restructuring.
Prior to joining Norton Rose Fulbright, José acted as a legal consultant for a large petroleum corporation in connection with the implementation of the 2013 Mexican energy reform, participating in the transformation of the country's hydrocarbon sector which opened up private investment opportunities.
Specialization in Energy Law, Escuela Libre de Derecho, 2015
BA, Universidad Panamericana, 2009
- Migration of allocations (asignaciones) granted by the Ministry of Energy (Secretaría de Energía), into host government contracts pursuant to the 2013 Mexican energy reform.
- Joint and individual biddings for International Bidding Rounds called by the Mexican Hydrocarbons Commission.
- Negotiation of the "State Owned Enterprises and Designated Monopolies" and "Investment" chapters of the free trade agreement among Mexico, Canada and the U.S.A. (T-MEC)
- Project finance schemes
- Negotiation and closing of loan agreements with different banking institutions, as well as of corresponding guarantees (guaranty trust, mortgages and surety bonds).
- Negotiation and closing of international development agreement to operate restaurant franchises in an exclusive manner in Mexico, negotiation and closing of respective franchise agreements and ancillary documents.
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
Publication | July 29, 2020
MEXICO: New guidelines issued by the Mexico Ministry of Energy on the consideration to landowners when a project reaches commercial extraction of hydrocarbons
Publication | July 28, 2020