José Luis Romo Trujano
Norton Rose Fulbright US MX, S.C.
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
José Luis is a senior associate and focuses his practice on energy transactions. He has more than eight years of experience advising energy clients worldwide and has worked closely with national and international oil and gas companies, state-owned companies and regulators in Mexico. He has participated, most notably, in the implementation of the 2013 energy reform in the projects and businesses team of Pemex, including advising in the migration of asignaciones granted to Pemex by the Ministry of Energy, into host government contracts pursuant to such energy reform, with partners - Mexican farmouts, and individually, as well as in the joint bidding in partnership with other companies for the different International Bidding Rounds called by the Mexican Hydrocarbons Commission.
He has also advised other international oil companies in their farmouts related to the divestment of their interest in several onshore and offshore blocks in Mexico. He also has more than fifteen years of experience in M&A and general corporate transactions, which include advice in connection with the acquisition of hydrocarbons and oil products storage and processing terminals through the acquisition of special purpose vehicles, including in the negotiation of preparatory contracts, execution of due diligence and preparation of corresponding reports, and obtaining of the necessary permits, licenses and authorizations from the relevant authorities.
José Luis frequently negotiates and closes all types of contracts related to the energy sector – upstream and midstream, and advises on the regulatory path applicable to energy projects in Mexico. The foregoing includes representing a leading offshore energy company in connection with the first ever unitization procedure under Mexican law, including advising on the regulatory process, obtaining the required opinions and resolutions from the relevant governmental authorities, and advice, drafting and negotiation in connection with the corresponding Unitization and Unit Operating Agreement (UUOA).
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
Specialization in Energy Law, Escuela Libre de Derecho, 2015
BA, Universidad Panamericana, 2009
- Mexico Bar
- Migration of allocations (asignaciones) granted by the Ministry of Energy (Secretaría de Energía), into host government contracts pursuant to the 2013 Mexican energy reform.
- Joint and individual biddings for International Bidding Rounds called by the Mexican Hydrocarbons Commission.
- Negotiation of the "State Owned Enterprises and Designated Monopolies" and "Investment" chapters of the free trade agreement among Mexico, Canada and the U.S.A. (T-MEC)
- Project finance schemes
- Negotiation and closing of loan agreements with different banking institutions, as well as of corresponding guarantees (guaranty trust, mortgages and surety bonds).
- Negotiation and closing of international development agreement to operate restaurant franchises in an exclusive manner in Mexico, negotiation and closing of respective franchise agreements and ancillary documents.
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
CNH amends MX guidelines regarding extraction of hydrocarbons
Publication | August 20, 2021
Pemex’s comprehensive E&P service contracts
Publication | July 13, 2021
New amendment to Hydrocarbons Law on Asymmetric Regulation
Publication | May 20, 2021