Norton Rose Fulbright (Asia) LLP
Related services and key industries
Sophie Polisena is a shipping finance lawyer based in Singapore.
Sophie has a broad range of experience acting for international shipping banks, owners, operators and other financial institutions in syndicated and bilateral debt facilities, debt restructuring and ship sale and purchase transactions. She also has extensive experience advising Korean shipping companies and lenders, and is very familiar working with the Singapore, Marshall Islands and Liberian ship registries.
Sophie previously worked for two years as a paralegal with our London project finance team, where she gained much experience acting for financial institutions in large, multi-jurisdictional debt financing transactions.
Sophie is a non-practising Barrister, and was called to the Bar of England and Wales in 2013.
2008 - 2011; University of Cambridge, BA Hons, History
2011 - 2012; College of Law, Graduate Diploma in Law
2012 - 2013; College of Law, Bar Professional Training Course
2011 - 2013; College of Law, LLB Law
2016; BBP, Accelerated Legal Professional Course
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales 2017
- Lead counsel for a syndicate of lenders in respect of a loan of US$111,300,000 to SK Shipping for the financing of two newbuild VLCOs, with subsequent twenty-five year contracts of affreightment with Vale S.A.
- Lead counsel for Sumitomo Trust Bank, Ltd and the Korea Development Bank in respect of two senior credit facilities totalling US$54,000,000, backed by two junior credit facilities totalling US$22 million, to finance the purchase of two pure car and truck carriers. The deal was structured as a Japanese Operating Lease with Call Option (JOLCO) and arranged by Mizuho Securities Co., Ltd. Such a JOLCO structure remains relatively new for shipping companies generally.
- Lead counsel for NordLB in respect of a loan of US$114,000,000 to a Korean shipping company, to finance the purchase of twenty four vessels.
- Lead counsel for YES Bank Limited in respect of four loans totalling US$177,000,000 to the Fomento Group, three of the loans were used to finance (and refinance) the purchase of three vessels.
- Counsel for Standard Chartered Bank in respect of an internal refinancing of a US$91,924,622 loan made to Bahtera Sri Kandi Offshore Ltd and Bahtera Sri Kandi Asset Ltd as borrowers (the Borrowers). The initial loan was used by the Borrowers to finance the acquisition of nine vessels, flagged in Malaysia.
- Advising a towing company in relation to the Waste Recycling Regulations.
- Advising a commodities and resources company in relation to the quantification of damages in the event of a Force Majeure.
- Law Society
- The Honourable Society of the Middle Temple
November 13, 2019
June 17, 2019
Norton Rose Fulbright advises on the US$1.2 billion financing and delivery of the world’s first converted FLNG production vessel “Hilli Episeyo”
June 26, 2018