We are home to one of Canada’s leading international trade practices. Clients in Canada and internationally seek our advice for several reasons:
- Core areas of expertise – We represent clients in trade actions, disputes and arbitrations, and offer assistance in the interpretation of bilateral and multilateral trade agreements, trade litigation under Canadian and international trade laws, compliance with laws and regulations governing the import and export of goods and services, government procurement challenges and investment disputes.
- Litigation and arbitration experience – Our lawyers have acted in many trade proceedings before the Canadian International Trade Tribunal, North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) Bi-national Panels and the Federal Court.
- International experience – We work closely with Canadian and foreign corporations to help them navigate complex national and international trade laws and policies that govern trade and investment. We provide assistance with international trade and regulatory issues including customs, border control issues, trade remedies (anti-dumping, subsidy and safeguard investigations), World Trade Organization (WTO) law and export controls.
- Regulatory understanding – We advise companies on import/export transactions and provide strategic planning in anticipation of future investigations and trade measures. We also assist with structuring investments and transactions from a trade-efficient perspective, and in negotiating with domestic and foreign government departments and agencies in matters concerning cross-border trade regulation.
- Insight of senior advisors – Clients benefit from the significant experience of our senior advisors including:
- The Right Honourable Brian Mulroney, former Prime Minister of Canada, whose government introduced the Canada-U.S. Free Trade Agreement and NAFTA.
- Derek Burney, former Canadian Ambassador to the United States and Korea, and a lead negotiator of the Canada-U.S. Free Trade Agreement.
Rankings and accolades
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2011-2013): International Trade/WTO. “A fully comprehensive legal firm, with the ability to bring in specialised resources on any topic.”
Select client work
- AbitibiBowater in its C$130 million settlement of NAFTA claim against the government of Canada and in a NAFTA Chapter 11 challenge to the expropriation of its assets and rights in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- ArcelorMittal before the Canada Border Services Agency and the Canadian International Trade Tribunal in several anti-dumping and countervailing proceedings launched in Canada, including against imports of hot-rolled steel sheet and against carbon steel welded pipe.
- Dow AgroSciences LLP in a North American Free Trade Agreement Chapter 11 complaint against Canada.
- Numerous companies in tariff classification and value for duty challenges before the Canadian International Trade Tribunal on specific products including:
|Skechers USA Canada Inc.||The Stevens Company Ltd.|
|Jockey Canada Limited||Jonic International|
|J. Cheese Inc.||Style-Kraft Sportswear Inc.|
|SMS Equipment Inc.||Viessmann Limited|
|The Pampered Chef||Kravet Fabrics Canada Inc.|
|Stampin’ Up! Canada||Spacesaver Corporation|
|Sable Offshore Energy Inc.||Marubeni Canada|
|Sandvik Tamrock Canada Inc.||ExxonMobil Canada Properties|