Our Canadian Mining team advises on all aspects of mining transactions and project development for domestic and global clients with mining interests. Clients rely on our comprehensive understanding of the mining industry and the critical business issues that face industry participants to help them successfully achieve their goals.
Mining sector clients come to us for several reasons:
- Full service support – Our lawyers are known for finding innovative solutions to the complex issues that arise in mining transactions. We advise on a variety of matters related to mining including mergers and acquisitions, project finance, corporate finance and securities, environmental law, real property, mining operations, aboriginal law, intellectual property, tax, construction, insolvency and restructuring, technology, litigation, arbitration and dispute resolution, health and safety, and employment and labour.
- Understanding our client – We focus on obtaining a clear understanding of our clients’ business objectives and then partnering with them to achieve those objectives. Any mining transaction, large or small, represents a business-critical undertaking, which is why we feel that working as integral members of a client’s transaction team results in the most successfully planned and executed deals.
- Understanding of the mining sector – Our mining lawyers have a deep working knowledge of Canada’s mining industry and a successful track record in assisting domestic and international corporations with their most important mining matters. We have an in-depth understanding of the economic, political and legal issues that shape mining markets.
- Global seamless service – Our international presence truly reflects the global nature of the mining industry. We have a comprehensive understanding of mining jurisdictions throughout the world and our team collaborates seamlessly to deliver the highest calibre of services worldwide. Our truly global network of mining professionals is unparalleled among law firms in Canada and the team has the experience of acting on mining law transactions in almost every country in the world.
Rankings and accolades
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Energy and Natural Resources: Mining, Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Chambers Global, Canada: Energy and Natural Resources: Mining, Chambers and Partners, 2017
- Legal 500, Canada: Energy: Mining, Legal 500, 2017
Select client work
- ArcelorMittal in its US$1.1 billion agreement to sell a 15% interest in ArcelorMittal Mines Canada to an Asian-led consortium and on related off-take, infrastructure and joint-venture agreements.
- Barrick Gold Corporation (TSX/NYSE) on its take-over of Equinox Minerals Limited (TSX/ASX) for C$7.3 billion in cash.
- ArcelorMittal in its C$590 million acquisition of Baffinland Iron Mines Corporation.
- AuRico Gold (TSX) in its US$300 million share buy-back through substantial issuer bid.
- Gran Colombia Gold Corp. (TSX) on its US$100 million offering of gold linked notes and common share purchase warrants.
- Stornoway Diamond Corporation (TSX) in its acquisition from Diaquem Inc. of a 50% interest in the Renard Diamond Project in Northern Quebec.
- White Tiger Gold (TSXV)in its C$742 million acquisition of Century Mining Corporation.
- Gran Colombia Gold Corp. (TSX) in its merger with Medoro Resources, a Canada-based gold exploration company.
- Government of Canada with respect to the negotiation and settlement of environmental agreements and socio-economic agreements with affected native communities in connection with the development of BHP’s Etaki Diamond Project in the Northwest Territories.
- Dundee Securities Ltd. and TD Securities Inc. on Braeval Mining Corporation’s initial public offering on the TSX.\
- Marathon Gold Corporation (TSX) in connection with its private placement of units and flow-through common shares.
- BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc. in connection with the prospectus offering of common shares by Detour Gold Corporation.
- Dundee Securities Ltd. and CIBC World Markets Inc. in connection with the bought deal offering of convertible debentures by Kirkland Lake Gold Inc.
- Dundee Securities Ltd. in connection with the unit offering by Kootenay Silver Inc. and the bought deal common share offering by GoldQuest Mining Corp.
- Chieftain Metals Inc. in its TSX initial public offering of common and flow-through shares, private placement transactions and asset acquisition.
- Dingyi Group Investment Limited on its potential A$200m takeover of Elemental Minerals (TSX, ASX).
- Syndicate of Underwriters led by BMO Capital Markets in connection with Detour Gold Corporation’s (TSX) C$106 million bought deal public offering of common shares and a further bought deal public offering for proceeds of C$153 million.
- Banro Corporation (TSX) in its C$175 million brokered private placement of senior secured notes underwritten by a syndicate co-lead by GMP Securities and BMO Capital Markets.