Our copyright and entertainment team has expertise in all aspects of copyright law including clearance, acquisition and registration to due diligence, agreements and transactional issues. We act for clients working in various industries such as film, television, video, music, art, literature, software and evolving media including telecommunications and the Internet and in respect of the traditional publishing industry.
Clients rely on us to secure their cultural products and enforce their rights for the following reasons:
- Deep understanding of copyright-related issues – We understand the importance of copyright protection in a rapidly evolving environment, thanks to our strong presence in the cultural, technology and new media sectors. This in-depth knowledge allows us to provide clients with insightful advice on litigation matters, such as anti-counterfeiting enforcement and/or seizure of copyright protected goods. We also handle issues arising from daily operations such as performers’ rights, co-productions and joint ventures to employment issues, insurance, content review for defamation and privacy concerns, copyright clearance, and licensing and distribution matters.
- Solid court experience – Our lawyers are well prepared to represent Canadian copyright collectives before the Copyright Board for the certification of tariffs for the various uses of copyright subject-matter. We are also able to support clients before the Federal Court of Appeal, where the decisions of the Board on complex legal and valuation issues are often brought for judicial review. We have frequently represented Hollywood studios and producers and software and game developers in respect of copyright claims and disputes.
- Wide scope of services – We advise on copyright registration assignments and licenses, copyright searches, usage policies, audits and protection, civil and criminal litigation, copyright portfolio management, merchandising, assignment and licensing agreements, due diligence and valuation of copyright assets for, commercial transactions, protection, exploitation and distribution rights, employment and labour contracts and matters, defamation and privacy concerns and representations before the Copyright Board.
- Global expertise – As an international legal practice, we can draw upon the expertise of our global copyright, designs and databases team when needed. We have lawyers with international knowledge of copyright and entertainment laws in Europe, Asia, South Africa, Australia and the United States.
Rankings and accolades
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Intellectual Property (Band 1), Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Chambers Global, Canada: Intellectual Property (Band 1), Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Legal 500, Canada: Intellectual Property, The Legal 500, 2018
- IP Stars, Canada: Copyright, Managing Intellectual Property, 2017
Select client work
- Distrimedic Inc. in a lawsuit against Richards Packaging Inc. relating to pill dispensers. Richards alleged infringement of its claimed patent, copyright and trade-mark rights as well as false and misleading statements upon launch of Distrimedic’s pill dispenser. All claims were dismissed by the Federal Court.
- Canadian copyright collectives before the Copyright Board for the certification of tariffs for the various uses of copyright subject-matter.
- Bojeux, a consumer product company, in the successful defence of a major trade-mark and copyright infringement action.
- Major motion picture studios, in motion picture and television co-production and financing and in copyright authorship and ownership disputes and in contract and distribution disputes, and content licensing.
- Software developers, game developers and new media companies in respect of disputes over software content and distribution.
- Book publishers in respect of distribution and clearance issues.