Jennifer Hodgins practises in all areas of employment and labour law, including human rights, employment standards, labour and employee relations, grievance arbitration, wrongful dismissal and health and safety matters. Jennifer has acted on behalf of employers in grievance arbitrations, human rights tribunal proceedings, wrongful dismissal claims, settlement negotiations and labour board proceedings. Jennifer also regularly provides proactive and strategic advice to employers relating to workplace issues and labour relations, including collective bargaining.
Prior to joining our Toronto office, Jennifer practised labour and employment law at a management-side labour and employment boutique firm and completed a clerkship at the Ontario Superior Court of Justice in Toronto. She has also worked as in-house labour counsel at a large regional hospital.
B.A.(Hons.), University of Toronto, 2006
LL.B., Dalhousie University, 2010
- "Ontario's New Pay Transparency Legislation," HR Masterclass, Human Resources Directorate, September 10, 2018
- "Update on Workplace Investigations," The Six-Minute Employment Lawyer 2017, the Law Society of Upper Canada, June 7, 2017
- "The Right to Strike and Other Musings from the Supremes" (co-presenter with Richard Charney), client seminar, May 2015
- “Update on Employment Standards: Protected Leaves, Frustration, and More” (co-presenter), client seminar, September 2014.
- "The Canada Labour Code: A Primer for Federally Regulated Employers," HR Reporter webinar, Thomson Reuters, April 10, 2014.
Memberships and activities
- Ontario Bar Association
- Advocates’ Society
The general counsel of the United States’ National Labor Relations Board recently ruled that McDonald’s should be considered a joint employer with its franchisees..
September 19, 2014
The Ontario Human Rights Commission (the Commission) recently released its “Policy on preventing discrimination based on mental health disabilities and addictions.”.
July 16, 2014
Jennifer Hodgins explains how the Pay Transparency Act will affect employers in Ontario as of January 1st, 2019..
August 23, 2018