Xavier Hamel practises employment and labour law, with a particular focus on matters related to hiring, termination, labour standards, occupational health and safety, human rights and freedoms and the interpretation and application of individual employment contracts and collective labour agreements.
Mr. Hamel has also gained experience in the area of business immigration and international mobility and participated in different files providing turnkey solutions to employers that include obtaining the required authorizations from Quebec and federal authorities to hire foreign nationals. He has also developed an interest in access to information and protection of personal information, where he represents clients before the Access to Information Commission.
LL.B., Université Laval, 2013
Rankings and recognitions
- Quebec Bar’s Participatory Justice Award for the highest score in alternative dispute resolution processes and participatory justice (2012-2013)
- Legalization of marijuana for recreational use – issues and challenges for employers in Quebec, Legal updates, Norton Rose Fulbright Canada, April 2017.
- How to Successfully Include a Restrictive Covenant in a Current Employment Contract, Global Workplace Insider, September 2016
- The Importance of Mobility Clauses for Quebec Employers, Global Workplace Insider, August 2016
- The Duty to Accommodate Employees Suffering from Drug Addiction or Alcoholism in Quebec, Global Workplace Insider, August 2016
- Canada's biometrics expansion project, Legal updates, Norton Rose Fulbright Canada, June 2018
- " Quand l'actualité rattrape la réalité : discussion autour du harcèlement psychologique et sexuel au travail et tendances à surveiller en 2018," conference presented at the Industrial Relations Colloquium of Laval University, March 2018.
- " Droit de l'emploi et du travail – Rétrospective de l'année 2017," Norton Rose Fulbright, March 2018.
- " ABC d'une fin d'emploi : ce qu'il faut savoir sur la fin d'emploi au Québec," presentation to members of the AGÉRIUL of Laval University, March 2018.
- " Les médias sociaux et le travail," presentation in connection with the industrial relations seminar of Laval University, March 2017.
- " Le harcèlement psychologique en milieu de travail," presentation to members of the AGÉRIUL of Laval University, February 2017.
- " Dans la peau d'un gestionnaire RH : Étude de cas," presentation to members of the AGÉRIUL of Laval University, November 2016.
Memberships and activities
- Association du jeune barreau de Québec
- Jeune chambre de commerce de Québec
In view of the growing number of immigration applications in the world and the increasing intricacies of detecting identity fraud, countries are looking for ways to enhance their capacity to accurately determine people’s identity. More than 70 countries have made biometrics part of their immigration screening and border management process or are in the process of doing so. .
June 21, 2018
On April 13, 2017, the federal government tabled Bill C-45, which, if passed, would legalize the recreational use of marijuana. .
April 28, 2017