Daniel E. Steiner
Dan Steiner is a partner on our business team and the head of our Vancouver office's mergers and acquisitions team. He advises public and private companies, private equity funds and pension plans regarding mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, the purchase and sale of businesses, the formation and financing of business ventures and general corporate law matters. Mr. Steiner has advised parties involved with three transactions that have won ACG British Columbia’s "Dealmakers of the Year" award (2016, 2014, and 2010).
Mr. Steiner has extensive experience in Canada-US and domestic transactions. He has advised clients involved in the infrastructure, technology, manufacturing, resource, entertainment, hospitality and transportation industries.
Prior to joining us in 2015, Mr. Steiner was a partner in the corporate and securities group of an international law firm. He was also an associate in the M&A group of Simpson Thacher & Bartlett in New York from 2000 until 2002. He articled and then practised in Toronto from 1996 until 1999.
Chambers Canada (2019) said:
"Daniel Steiner is well versed in sophisticated M&A and private equity transactions, including LBOs. One commentator reports: 'He is extremely efficient and particularly good at advising on mitigating risk.'"
Chambers Canada (2018) said:
"Daniel Steiner is acknowledged by interviewees as a 'bright and capable guy' who is 'very easy to work with.' He is well respected for his M&A expertise, with an impressive track record acting for private equity players and pension plans."
LL.B., McGill University, 1996
M.Sc., London School of Economics, 1993
B.A., Queen's University, 1992
Private Equity M&A
- Eli Global, LLC in its acquisition of CBV Collection Services Ltd. from Yellow Point Equity Partners II LP
- Stern Partners Inc. in its acquisition of Auld Phillips, Thinkingbox Media & Design Inc., Capital Printing & Forms Inc., BioFert Manufacturing Inc., McRae's Environmental Services Ltd. and Flexstar Packaging Inc.
- Tricor Pacific Capital, Inc. in its purchase of Tiger Calcium Services Inc. and its sale of Golden Boy to Post Holdings, Inc. for C$320 million. The transaction earned ACG BC's "Dealmakers of the Year" award (2014)
- Headwater Equity Partners in its investment in Mormak Equipment Ltd.
- Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan in its acquisition of four marine container terminals in North America from Orient Overseas (International) Limited of Hong Kong for US$2.4B
- Coastal Pacific Xpress in its sale to VersaCold Logistics Services. The transaction earned ACG BC's "Dealmakers of the Year" award (2016)
- Hexagon AB in its acquisition of Multivista, Forming Technologies Incorporated, Mintec, Inc. and MicroSurvey Software Inc.
- Paypoint PLC in its £29M acquisition of Verrus Mobile Technologies and its sale of PayByPhone to Volkswagen Financial Services AG
- Bureau Veritas SA in its acquisitions of Acme Analytical Laboratories, Ltd. and OTI Canada Group
Venture Capital Investments
- Investments by TELUS Ventures (in Otono Networks), Madrona Ventures (in PiXPO and Eventbase Technology) and various funds (in NowPublic Technologies)
- British Columbia 2002
- New York State Bar 1999
- Ontario 1998
Rankings and recognitions
- Chambers Canada, British Columbia: Corporate/Commercial, Chambers and Partners, 2019
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, (2018): recommended in Corporate Commercial Law
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, (2018): recommended in Mergers & Acquisitions
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, (2018): recommended in Private Equity
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, (2017): recommended in Corporate Mid-Market
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Recognized leading lawyer in the areas of Corporate Governance Practice, Corporate Law, Leveraged Buyouts, Private Equity Law and Mergers & Acquisitions Law (2019); Named the "2015 Lawyer of the Year" in the area of Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law for Vancouver
- Lexpert Special Edition in the Report on Business Magazine: Recognized as one of Canada's Leading Infrastructure Lawyers (September, 2015)
- Business in Vancouver Top "Forty under 40": Recognized as a leader in the Vancouver business community, 2009
- "Representing a Business: From Startups to Mature Corporations" (co-presenter: Catherine Brayley), Canadian Bar Association Skilled Lawyer Series 2017, January 31, 2017.
- CLE BC’s Legal Strategies in Private M&A: The Auction Process Course (co-chair and speaker), Vancouver, May 2016.
- 36th Annual Northwest Securities Institute, (co-chair), Seattle, April 2016.
- "Practical Drafting Techniques For Contracts & Agreements," Federated Press 20th Negotiating and Drafting Major Business Agreements, Vancouver, May 2015.
- "Identifying Your Buyer and What They Want," CLE BC’s Legal Strategies in Private M&A Course, Vancouver, May 2015.
- "State and Provincial Regulatory Update" (moderator), 35th Annual Northwest Securities Institute Conference, Portland, Oregon, April 2015.
- "Guiding Company Directors: Roles, Duties and Liabilities of Directors," 16th Reinventing the Corporate Secretary Course (Federated Press), Vancouver, November 2014.
- "Shareholders' Agreements and Boards of Directors," Vancouver Board of Trade, Vancouver, October 2014.
- "Drafting Agreements: Tips, Traps & The Quest for a Crystal Clear Contract," Association of Corporate Counsel, Vancouver, October 2014.
- "Private Equity Investors in the Public Markets," CLE BC Advanced Securities, Vancouver, May 2014.
Memberships and activities
- American Bar Association, Canadian Private Target M&A Deal Points Study Working Group (2016 to present)
- Association for Corporate Growth (2006 to present)
- Jewish Family Service Agency, advisory committee (2006 to present)
- Vancouver Opera, advisory committee, past member
- Vancouver Aquarium (2012 to 2015)
- Governors Council (2015 to present)
- Temple Sholom (2014 to present)
- Jewish Community Foundation of Greater Vancouver (2015 to present)
The years after the financial crisis have seen a renewed focus on long-term value creation among investors, regulators, and—as a result—management teams..
April 19, 2017
The British Columbia Securities Commission and the Ontario Securities Commission have released their reasons for their July 25, 2016 joint order permitting Dolly Varden Silver Corp. to effect a private placement in the face of a takeover bid by Hecla Mining Co..
November 09, 2016