Christine A. Carron, Ad E
Christine Carron practises primarily in corporate and commercial litigation and in the areas of banking, privacy, product liability, consumer protection and e-commerce. She is chair of our Canadian privacy and access to information team. She has been involved in a wide range of commercial litigation, including the defence of major class actions in the financial services, retail and tobacco industries and represents corporate clients in disputes involving damages for breach of commercial contracts or for latent defects and in shareholder disputes.
Ms. Carron has also represented clients in parliamentary commissions on the adoption and amendment of Quebec’s privacy legislation for the private sector and participated in the consultation process for Quebec’s legislation on new technologies.
Ms. Carron is chair of Pro Bono Québec and our Canadian Pro Bono Committee.
Year of call
B.C.L., McGill University, 1977
M.A., McGill University, 1974
B.A., University of Michigan, 1972
- “L’importance de l’arrêt Vivendi c Dell’Aniello pour l’administration de la preuve au fond dans le cadre d’un recours collectif,” Montreal, March 20, 2014.
- “The World in One: Developing and Implementing a Global Privacy / Data Protection Compliance Strategy,” 2013 IAPP Canada Privacy Symposium, Toronto, May 2013.
- “Negotiating the Global Privacy Maze: Preventing and Responding to Privacy Breaches,” Professional Liability Underwriting Society, November 2013.
- “A Cloud by any other Name…,” Calgary, February 2013 and Montreal, April 2013.
- “Privacy without Borders,” Toronto, March 12, 2013.
- “Complex Litigation,” Quebec Bar, Gatineau, Quebec, June 3, 2011.
- “Reform of the Consumer Protection Act: True Harmonization or Not?” Montreal, May 27, 2011.
- “Protection of Personal Information: What’s New?” presentation to selected clients, Toronto, September 2010 and January 2011.
- “Comparison of Federal and Provincial Cost of Borrowing Regulations - Reform of the Consumer Protection Act: True Harmonization or Not?” Canadian Bar Association conference, Montreal, October 6, 2010.
- “Leading Practices Profile on Crisis Management and the Role of the In-house Counsel,” Association of Corporate Counsel, San Antonio, Texas, October 2010.
Selected client work
Ms. Carron’s recent client work includes:
- Defending Royal Bank in damage claims for breach of privacy
- Representing Aeroplan in a class action respecting unilateral changes to a loyalty program
- Counselling numerous financial institutions, including Royal Bank of Canada, HSBC, CIBC and MBNA, with respect to regulatory and general banking issues, and class actions for alleged violations of the Quebec Consumer Protection Act
- Successfully defending Playtex against the certification of product liability class actions in respect of baby bottles containing BPA
- Successfully defending Procter & Gamble in Quebec class action certification proceedings respecting product liability for a denture fixative
- Counselling numerous retailers including Sears, Dell, Household Finance, HBC and Electrolux with respect to contracts and the validity of provisions relating to advertising, credit, disclosure and discounts offered
- Quebec counsel to Canadian Bankers Association
- Successfully defending a credit card issuer in one of the first Quebec class actions to proceed on the merits
- Acting for Hydro-Québec with respect to contractual disputes
Rankings and recognitions
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2012-2015 – Appellate Law, Class Action Litigation, Corporate and Commercial Litigation, Banking and Finance
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2007, 2011-2015: Dispute Resolution: Class Action (Defence) and Dispute Resolution: Quebec
- Canadian Bar Association, Quebec Branch – 2014 Pro Bono Rajpattie-Persaud Award
- Le Monde Juridique – Litigator of the year
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2011-2014: recommended in Class Action; Litigation – Corporate Commercial; Litigation – Directors’ & Officers’ Liability
- Benchmark Canada, 2013 – Local Litigation Star in Quebec; Litigation Star in Canada in Arbitration
- Lexpert®/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, 2011-2012 – most frequently recommended in Corporate Commercial Litigation and Class Actions
- Benchmark Canada, 2012 – Local Litigation Star in Quebec, Class Actions, Media Law
- Best Lawyers’ Lawyer of the Year, 2012 – Appellate law, Montreal
- 2011 Martindale-Hubbell® Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers™, Rated AV® Preeminent™
- 2011 Lexpert® Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Litigation Lawyers in Canada (US Litigation Guide), Litigation – Corporate commercial; Litigation – Class actions
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Named Advocatus Emeritus by the Quebec Bar
- Lexpert Zenith Awards, which honours the top 25 women in the country
- La Presse “Personality of the Week” as a leading litigation lawyer
- Lexpert Magazine – One of Canada’s Top 25 Women Lawyers
- Magazine Entreprendre – One of “Les 101 Femmes entrepreneurs”
- National Post – Listed among Best Lawyers, Montreal for Corporate Commercial Litigation, Banking Law and Class Action Litigation
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Supreme Court Advocacy Institute
- Quebec Bar task force on pro bono services
- Bar of Montreal
- Liaison Committee with the Court of Appeal
- Deliberations Committee
- Former member, Council
- Former treasurer and director, Canadian Institute for the Administration of Justice
In previous commentaries we have noted that the tort of intrusion on seclusion could form the basis of future class actions in Canada..
December 14, 2015
Bill S-4, the Digital Privacy Act (the Act), has now been passed by the Senate and House of Commons..
June 23, 2015
Christine Carron explained the impact of Canada’s anti-spam legislation on businesses and their relationships with customers since its provisions are being in force..
May 27, 2015
Christine Carron was honoured for her outstanding contribution to the welfare of her community..
April 28, 2014