Troy Ungerman’s practice focuses on domestic and cross-border private mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, private equity, venture capital investments, strategic alliances, corporate reorganizations and financings.
He provides transactional as well as corporate and commercial advice to domestic and foreign clients in a wide array of industries, including the payment card, manufacturing, financial services, telecommunications, technology and health care industries.
Mr. Ungerman was lead M&A counsel to the owners of Jamieson Laboratories Ltd. in connection with the divestiture of Jamieson to affiliates of US private equity fund CCMP Capital Advisors, LLC.
Mr. Ungerman represented Nortel Networks Corporation and Nortel Networks Limited in connection with Nortel’s divestitures after it entered protection pursuant to the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act in 2009.
He is a regular speaker at the Osgoode Professional Development “M&A Skills Boot Camp” as well as various continuing legal education seminars. Mr. Ungerman is also a member of the American Bar Association and an active member of the American Bar Association’s Canadian Deal Points Study.
Mr. Ungerman is Co-Chair of our Canadian mergers and acquisitions team and a member of our Canadian diversity committee. He is also the Chair of our Canadian LGBTA Network.
Year of call
LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School, 1998
B.A.(Hons.), McGill University, 1995
- “The Role of Stalking Horse Bids in Canadian M&A,” Insight - Advanced Mergers and Acquisitions, Toronto, May 2011.
- Mr. Ungerman is a regular speaker at the M&A Boot Camp offered by Osgoode Professional Development.
Selected client work
Clients for whom Mr. Ungerman has recently acted include:
- Data & Audio-Visual Enterprises Holdings Inc. in connection with the proposed sale of Mobilicity to TELUS Corporation
- Oxford Industries, Inc. in connection with its purchase of the Canadian Tommy Bahama-branded business from Jaytex Retail Corp. and Jaytex of Canada Limited
- SNC-Lavalin Inc. in connection with its acquisition of the CANDU reactor division assets of Atomic Energy of Canada Limited
- Nortel Networks Corporation and Nortel Networks Limited in connection with Nortel’s divestitures after it entered protection pursuant to the Companies Creditors Protection Act
- Newport Partners Income Fund in connection with the sale of its indirect interest in Capital C Communications to MDC Partners
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- American Bar Association
Troy Ungerman comments on Norton Rose Fulbright joining over 15 law firms in signing the Statement of Principles of the Law Firm Diversity and Inclusion Network..
July 03, 2013
Norton Rose joins over 15 law firms across Canada who have signed the Statement of Principles..
May 22, 2013