Mathieu Deschamps deals with all aspects of corporate law, including mergers and acquisitions and securities law matters. He is frequently involved in transactions involving the acquisition, merger or financing of businesses in Canada and the United States in various sectors of the economy, including in the financial, entertainment, transportation, oil and gas and renewable energy industries. He is also routinely involved in the negotiation of shareholders’ agreements, partnership agreements and various commercial contracts for large corporations, institutional investors, as well as SMEs and start-up companies.
In addition to his law degree, Mr. Deschamps obtained a bachelor of commerce and acquired business experience by working as a market analyst for a mining company during his law studies.
LL.B./B.C.L., McGill University, 2007
B.Com., McGill University, 2003
Clients for whom Mr. Deschamps has acted recently include:
- SNC-Lavalin in its sale of Alta Link to Berkshire Hathaway Energy
- Metro Inc. in the context of the acquisition of a majority interest in each of Premiere Moisson bakery and Marché Adonis
- Bombardier in connection with the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec’s investment in Bombardier’s transportation division
- Beaudier Inc., as principal shareholder, in setting up the debt and equity financing of the Port‑Daniel‑Gascons quarry and cement plant project on the Gaspé peninsula
- Cirque du Soleil in connection with the formation of a production fund and a $105 million investment therein by Cirque du Soleil, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec and Constellation Growth Capital Partner to fund the Zarkana and Iris Productions
- Pattern Energy in its successful proposal for the sale of wind energy to Hydro‑Québec
- Industrial Alliance in its acquisition of CTL Corp., a company that offers non-traditional auto finance to its customers
- The senior lenders and bondholders in connection with the $1.2 billion financing of a new McGill University Health Centre hospital located on the Glen Campus in downtown Montreal
- Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, in connection with its investment of approximately US$500 million in Invenergy’s wind projects.
- Cirque du Soleil inc., in the transaction whereby TPG Capital Group became the majority shareholder of Cirque du Soleil
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association, Quebec Branch
- Executive - SOGIC Committee
- Fondation l’Actuel
- Pride at Work, Quebec region
Global legal practice Norton Rose Fulbright has today announced a total of 51 partner promotions worldwide. .
April 24, 2015
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada announces that a 16 of its lawyers and patent agents have been admitted to the partnership and named Of Counsel.
December 16, 2014