Matthew Bernardo practises in all areas of corporate and commercial law with a focus on construction and infrastructure projects and private and public mergers and acquisitions. He joined our Toronto office as a summer student in 2007. In 2012, Mr. Bernardo completed a six‑month secondment with a major Canadian multi‑trade contractor where he acted as in‑house legal counsel, advising on a variety of corporate, construction and energy matters.
Prior to his legal studies, Mr. Bernardo worked as a commercial banking account manager at a major global bank and earned his CFA designation.
J.D., Osgoode Hall Law School, 2008
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), 2005
B.Comm.(Hons.), Queen's University, 2002
Mr. Bernardo has acted for the following clients:
- The Regional Municipality of Waterloo regarding the request for proposals, and subsequent project agreement with a private sector consortium, to design, build, finance, operate and maintain the region’s IONTM stage 1 light-rail transit system
- A mining concern in respect of a US$300 million credit facility for early revenue phase mine development
- The special committee of KEYreit in connection with KEYreit’s successful defence against a take‑over bid by Huntingdon Capital Corp. and subsequent supported acquisition by Plazacorp Retail Properties Ltd.
- Barrick Gold Corporation in connection with its successful take‑over bid for Equinox Minerals Limited
- ArcelorMittal in connection with its successful joint take-over bid with Nunavut Iron Ore Acquisition Inc. for Baffinland Iron Mines Corporation
- Genstar Capital, LLC, a US‑based private equity firm, in connection with its acquisition of Granite Global Solutions, a leading Canadian provider of risk mitigation services to insurance and corporate clients
- Roseway Capital L.P., a venture capital investor funded by entities advised by UK‑based Headway Capital Partners LP, in its $20 million investment in GrowthWorks Canadian Fund Ltd.
- Valeant Canada in connection with its acquisition of the shares of Vital Science and DermaGlow for $10.5 million
- Calisolar Inc. in its acquisition of 6N Silicon Inc., an Ontario‑based silicon supplier to the solar industry, and in private placement funding from existing Calisolar Inc. and 6N Silicon Inc. investors
- “Construction Contract Changes,” Mechanical Contractors Association of Toronto, June 18, 2014.
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Toronto CFA Society