Jacob Cawker's practice focuses on securities and corporate law with an emphasis on corporate finance, special situations (encompassing corporate governance, regulatory compliance and contested shareholder meetings) and mergers and acquisitions. In his securities law practice, he has acted for both public and private issuers as well as underwriters in a variety of public and exempt market offerings (equity and debt) and strategic investments. In his practice relating to special situations, Mr. Cawker acts for both issuers and activist shareholders advising on complex matters relating to corporate governance, regulatory compliance and related-party transactions as well as proxy regulation and contested shareholder meetings (including requisitioned meetings). Mr. Cawker also regularly advises reporting issuers in a variety of industries in connection with their ongoing continuous disclosure obligations, stock exchange regulatory requirements and matters of general corporate law.
Mr. Cawker joined our Toronto office as a summer student in 2008 and as an articling student in 2009 and 2010. During his articles, Mr. Cawker was seconded to the legal department of General Motors of Canada Ltd.
J.D., Osgoode Hall Law School, 2009
B.Sc.(Hons.), University of Toronto, 2005
- Counsel to MedReleaf Corp. in connection with its $101 million initial public offering and secondary offering and listing on the Toronto Stock Exchange, and subsequent bought deal financings
- Counsel to a syndicate of underwriters in a $169 million bought deal public offering of class A subordinate voting shares and convertible unsecured subordinated debentures of TSX-listed Fiera Capital Corporation
- Counsel to FTI Consulting Canada Inc., in its capacity as as court-appointed monitor in the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act proceedings of Sears Canada Inc., in connection with the disposition by Sears Canada Inc. of, among others, the business of Corbeil Électrique Inc.
- Counsel to Tuckamore Capital Management Inc. (now Clearstream Energy Services Inc.) in connection with its recapitalization by way of a private placement of senior secured notes in the principal amount of $176 million and concurrent offering of second lien notes in the aggregate principal amount of $25 million by private placement and a rights offering by way of prospectus
- Counsel to Icahn Enterprises L.P., in connection with its US$340 million acquisition of the US automotive aftermarket product distribution business of TSX-listed Uni-Select Inc.
- Counsel to a concerned group of shareholders in connection with an activist campaign and replacement of the board of directors and management of TSX-listed Karnalyte Resources Inc.
- Counsel to Orange Capital, LLC in connection with an activist campaign and representation on the board of TSX-listed InnVest Real Estate Investment Trust
- Counsel to Richardson GMP in its acquisition of Macquarie Private Wealth
Memberships and activities
As we reported here, Canada has introduced legislation providing a framework for regulated access to legal cannabis for recreational use..
December 05, 2017
In the 2015 federal election, the Liberal Party of Canada ran on a platform that included legalizing recreational cannabis. Following the election, a task force was created to report on legalization and regulation.
April 20, 2017